Which b*st*ard posted the pictures of Timberline?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
There I was in Tonbridge getting my tyres changed and remembered the pictures that some bloke whose handle begins with Z and who lives just down the road from me posted on here in the last week or so. What a b*st*rd ;-). Timberline is almost next door to ATS tyres and as the seed had been planted in my mind I could feel the magnetic pull inexorably drawing me closer. Next thing I know I am wandering about in an Aladdin's cave of exotic hardwoods. Despite having no actual project in mind I still managed to spend £240 on turning blanks and a few planks of this and that. Plus a Veritas block plane that I had been avoiding buying for ages, and a Japanese saw, just to try it.

I wish people would keep their brilliant ideas to themselves in future!

Seriously, they have a remarkable stock of normally hard to find woods. For example he has just acquired 6 or 8 old and uncut boards of cuban mahogany. Certified big oak was also there in abundance for turning.

Friendly and helpful, and I suspect that the novice / amateur would get good service too. Limited range of good quality tools and finishes at sensible prices too.

The b*st*ards aren't restricted to this forum. I have a look on Instagram to get some design ideas and another person of undetermined fatherhood posted a picture of Sykes Timber on the day I needed to drive past on an errand for the boss.
I now have some cigar box cedar (never made a cigar box in my life), some ziricote (which is so gorgeous I probably won't use it), some figured ash and an off-cut of birch ply to remake a shooting board (absolutely nothing wrong with the one I've got).
No sense of social responsibility whatsoever!

AJB Temple":19hdtiyi said:
There is was in Tonbridge getting my tyres changed and remembered the pictures that some bloke whose handle begins with Z posted on here in the last week or so. What a b*st*rd ;-). Timberline is almost next door to ATS tyres and as the seed had been planted in my mind I could feel the magnetic pull inexorably drawing me closer. Next thing I know I am wandering about in an Aladdin's cave of exotic hardwoods. Despite having no actual project in mind I still managed to spend £240 on turning blanks and a few planks of this and that. Plus a Veritas block plane that I had been avoiding buying for ages, and a Japanese saw, just to try it.

I wish people would keep their brilliant ideas to themselves in future!

Seriously, they have a remarkable stock of normally hard to find woods. For example he has just acquired 6 or 8 old and uncut boards of cuban mahogany. Certified big oak was also there in abundance for turning.

Friendly and helpful, and I suspect that the novice / amateur would get good service too. Limited range of good quality tools and finishes at sensible prices too.

As well as old and recycled Cuban Mahogany Bob sometimes gets boards of plantation grown Mahogany that's been raised (I think in Indonesia) from cuttings taken from original Cuban specimens. It's very slightly lighter due to the different climate and soil, but is still an amazing treat to work. Ultra stable, kindly to your tools, and takes really crisp and precise jointing cuts. It's a shame Mahogany is so out of fashion, if only I could convince clients to buy Mahogany furniture I'd happily use nothing else!

I just thought that some of you should share my pain.

Living only 10mins drive away from the place isn't easy I can tell you. Especially as it's only about three doors from my glass supplier who I need to visit at least once a week.

The last time I was there was purely educational - showing the apprentice what could be had and how this stuff looks in the 'raw'. I ended up spending nearly a grand!!!

Moam, moan, moan..... try living in the southwest where the only way to get hardwoods is to steal church pews....

Reading the OP reminded me of a stick of Lignum Vitae I have in the woodstore

I'm guessing Timberline have been trading for a fair few years judging by the phone No & price

Markvk":1ynhva4v said:
Moam, moan, moan..... try living in the southwest where the only way to get hardwoods is to steal church pews....

Reminds me of an line from an old cockney song
"I've only twice been to church and once was to be wed
The other was at night and I left with the lead"

1980 or thereabouts. Someone gave me a copy of their catalogue soon after it was established. The owner being a trained Lute maker. I think the catalogue ran to two A4 sheets. I recently bought some rather nice (and very black) bog Oak from Timberline, £150's worth. I opened the parcel and a few sticks of wood fell out. Timber has sure risen in price in the last 5,000 years.

phil.p":13hcawfa said:
Markvk":13hcawfa said:
Try finding a hardwood pew!

Loads of them in rame head church..... or at least there were loads.....:)

Latest posts

Back