Whats under your bark?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCR

Established Member
Reaction score
BOX.jpg
[/img]

Boxopen.jpg
[/img]

About 30 years ago I planted a "John Downie" crab apple tree in the back garden. For 25 years it was magnificent, then it went into terminal decline as disease took over. The year before last it could only produce a few leaves and we both knew the time had come..... As I ran the trunk (200dia by about 1M long) through my elderly band saw, the effects of its struggle to survive became apparent. I have just used the timber to make a birthday present for my wife - a knitting needle storage box(!) The dark ends and finger grips are rosewood and the floating base is Cedar of Lebanon.
Glad I didnt burn the wood on the fire!

Bob

A lifetimes worth of memories, and something to be proud of.

Combined with the memories of the products produced by the needles and the recipients of the same there are enough there to last you both another lifetime.

oooooh indeed! I really like it.... and what a great story.

It's a beautiful box. Well done.
The wood is really rich, the design is excellent, and the sentimental value priceless I am sure.

The wood is stunning, but no more so than the design and execution. Great job all round. =D>

Bob,

Thats a great box. It must feel quite good to have seen the timber right the way through it's life and then use it.

Cheers,

Dod

Folks

Thanks for the kind comments.
I always feel a little uneasy when I use unsupported wood, in this case the tops, but I hope the narrow width will work to my favour and not cause too many problems.
Keefaz, I rubbed down with 320 grip after planing. I then applied two coats of Liberon Pale French Polish rubbed down between coats, with a final coat of Briwax applied with the finest steel wool.

Bob

Back