What type of wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also thinking it could be sapele. If you flip the board end-to-end, do the 'light stripes' become dark and vice-versa? :wink:

Sapele I reckon, I does look like its from a sill section. Which would mean that the timber should be quite hard wearing, if it was intended for a sill.

Great thanks lads you think a board of 100mmx 48mm in 3.6 lengths planed worth £27 cuft and yes they are sills.
cheers Again

I do think the grain on your pics is far to uniform for Sapele. More like Meranti.

And a great deal of sills are made from Meranti so it makes me think that that is what you have. Is it pinkish when freshly cut?

Either way, its a nice wood, if its either species it will look lovely oiled

Olly said
I'm also thinking it could be sapele. If you flip the board end-to-end, do the 'light stripes' become dark and vice-versa?

I have seen this piece of wood in the flesh and although it doesn't do this on the face, it does do it on the side in the interlocking grain manner you would expect from sapele. I have just made a gun rack from a board of sapele and It is very similar.

Alan

Well have ended up buying a lot of this wood 22 boards varying between 4.2 and 4.8 mtr lenghts. As Alan said he immediately said it was Sapele, (can understand why you didnt buy any) , if anybody after some who is local drop me a pm. Works out at about £20 cuft and there is still a lot left but saying that My mates wife wants some bookcases.Approx 28 boards left at 3- 4+ mtrs

Back