What do we like on TV?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":297z7lzp said:
wizer":297z7lzp said:
My fave UK woodworking programme is probably Cutting Edge Woodworker. Simply because the designs are modern. He does use big machinery, but I really don't mind that.

Also, his workshop looks fairly modest (actually, I believe it's in Bristol somewhere...). Most of the work he does is on that combination machine. Around that, he doesn't really have a lot else. Certainly not as much compared to Norm or David Free. :)

I suspect Paul Bradburn's workashop is/was a shared space. 'Lester' appeared on other shows with Alan Herd and the CEW workshop was seen on another show which escapes me now.

Discovery Channel's website is a bit of a nightmare, but on Discovery Shed (Sky 242) there is a Tommy Walsh all-dayer on 27th December, Shedheads on the 28th, Mega Builders (no, not TW) on the 29th, then a load of fishing until Jan 2nd, with New Home DIY, at least Dave Wellman is an engaging sort of presenter. Or 'DIY Dynamo' as Discovery calls him, which is a bit patronising as he seems to be a pretty competent jobbing builder.
Rico Daniels has the 3rd all to himself, showing how to make stuff that you could unload onto punters at Camden Lock with more money than sense.
After that it's more piscatorial follies and a bit more New Home DIY until the schedules run out on the 6th.

On Discovery Real Time (Sky 240/241) it's scaley fishiness, tattoos, old bangers and Kim & Aggie until 31 December when Matthew Corbett (remember him with Sooty & Sweep) does some narrow-boating, and there are some Country Tales and other stuff which might interest.
Tommy's back on the 3rd Jan (oh good, we'll be missing him by then) and carries on in the 3.30pm slot for a few days, followed by Holmes on Holmes.

So, all in all, a pretty bare few weeks for woodworking. Loadsa fish, a lot of cooking, some tattoos, old motors and endless Tommy bleedin' Walsh.

Probably better to go into your workshop and slap yourself in the face with a slice of cold turkey.

Do you think that lots of us contacting them would get 'us' more air time? Is that what the anglers have done, or do you suppose they just slap any old junk on because it's visual musak?

wizer":5gwtulox said:
I suspect Paul Bradburn's workashop is/was a shared space. 'Lester' appeared on other shows with Alan Herd and the CEW workshop was seen on another show which escapes me now.

Apparently Paul Bradburn's place is an ex piano warehouse, with a display area for his furniture attached. I've always assumed that 'Lester' is a generic name for assistants, especially as we never see him (although he does own some tasty planes, apparently) - a sort of woodworking Stig.

I can't understand it, no one has mentioned "Le Salvager".

That's Rico Daniels mentioned a couple of times.

As already said I'm always amazed at Anton Fitzpatrick's wood butchery. He does make me feel like a master carpenter though.

I've got more time for Rico Daniels than Anton Fitzpatrick. Partly because he deals more in ideas than the 'then I did this' approach, and there aren't usually little inserts about tools (usually too brief to be of interest) or visits to someone who can do it better!
I've never used his tip about diluted caustic soda before wazing to darken deal wood - has anybody else? If it works (big if there) it could be useful for unifying timber 'from more than one source'.

Someone mentioned the Cutting Edge presenter. I cannot watch him with the sound up. His cocky presentation and the awful 'hurry up' loud accompanying music is unbearable.

Yep, same here too in choice of viewing. NYW top of the list, Cutting edge woodworker, and GBW. I like to see John's Workshop although he makes me feel like a pauper. As for Rico Daniels, stuff he turns out is only fit for the skip. Anton Fitzpatrick should stick to building boats and forget about nailing wood together. As for Smith and Sweetman they leave a lot to be desired, glueing floating panels in?? What's that all about? As for the young nerd he really gets on my nerves and if he worked with me I would make sure he had an accident. :lol: As for the old lecturer he knows his stuff but has to put up with the nerd. I also liked to watch Tommy Walsh with Alan Herd, Tommy is a pain but I like too watch what Alan is making. Shame about not seeing any more Norm as I loved this show. Still there are better ones on the 'net' like Wood Whisperer and The Router Workshop. Don't suppose we will ever see them on our TV's though. :roll:

Hi,

Leister was in Barn Free where they did the producers (Keith Duddy) barn up, the workshop looks very much like the barn.

Duddy was the producer for Make Evans A car etc is Born shows and Cuttingedge Woodworker.

I think the Narrowboat one was him as well.

Pete

Alan Herd I think is quite a clever chap, his restoration series I found interesting. Although it must have been a wake up call for the antique trade as most of the stuff sold for less than they spent.

Anyone know why John Revel's Electra Beckham chop saw sparks at the bottom of each stroke.

Back