Wet Wet Wet!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
The humidity in my heated and dehumidified workshop is almost always in the range 40-60%, despite being half a mile from the sea. But the big storm we're having at the moment seems to have changed all that, this morning workshop humidity measured 81%, the highest I've ever recorded.

This is no weather to be fitting drawers!

Anyone else having wood movement problems at the moment?

I'd certainly agree that it's not good to have damp drawers.

The time to worry is when wet rot sets in, or the timber starts sprouting shoots and leaves.

custard":p1y913xg said:
Anyone else having wood movement problems at the moment?

Have been watching the lid of my toolbox expand for the past week or so by a good few mm. Have already "amended" it once and am now back to opening and closing it with a framing hammer! I'm not that far from you but further from the sea. My workshop is neither heated nor humidity controlled though. My mate in Portsmouth has had to plane his doors again, In the Summer there'll be gaps like billy-o in them.

Here in New England we had a humid summer. About the middle of August I gave up trying to close any drawers or doors; it was just pointless. I'd get a drawer shut and then couldn't open it again without risking spilling all the contents when it finally gave way. They're all just coming back into shape about now.

Years ago, my bil was a ships joiner working on a nuclear sub re-fit, and he went out on the "maiden" voyage. This was needed because the flexing of the vessel meant the doors, drawers etc. either flew open or jammed shut, and everything needed to be fitted as far as possible to be smack in the middle.

Latest posts

Back