WAY off topic!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Have just bought a new-to-me VW Polo diesel estate, and the previous owner has fitted it with alloy wheels and what look like lower profile tyres. To me, these look daft on a diesel, and apparently the wheels need cleaning every week or something silly. Does anyone know how possible/difficult it might be to change these back to ordinary steel ones with more normal size tyres, without wasting lots of money?

I would put them on Ebay and say you want cash and original steel wheels for the deal.....Then head off to the tool shop with your cash :D

I've got alloy wheels on my Landy and apparently I read somewhere that you do need to clean them more often as the crud on the road can degrade the metal, 'specially I suppose the salt on the roads when we have a cold snap - Rob

Alloy wheels are quite ok as long as the lacquer on them is still in good condition and keeping all the water and muck off them - once the lacquer starts to go,they oxidise/corrode and the only real solution is to have them sandblasted and re-lacquered.

Tiler 99 said
I would put them on Ebay and say you want cash and original steel wheels for the deal.....Then head off to the tool shop with your cash

That's the best suggestion I think you will see :wink:

Andrew

I drive diesels for the higher mileage they give to the gallon. OK so they are company cars, 3 brand new and 2 reallocations but they have all had alloys as standard fitment.
Never been told that the wheels need washing more often, only ever wash the car once a month, if its not too bad I just wipe the windows, lights and plates.
I sent three cars back with over 100,000 miles on and the wheels still looked OK.
The ford C max I had new the first week of this year has nearly 35,000 on it, its been a light year so far. :wink:

Hi Dick,
Sounds like they fitted oversize wheels if the tyres are low profile.
As dave said, they do fit alloys as standard equipment now, but they would be smaller wheels & undoubtedly less expensive rubber products. So as Tiler99 said, get rid & fit standard stuff then go tool shopping. :lol:

Cheers, Sliver. :)

Yes it's true, alloy wheels need more upkeep than steel ones. Yes they do have a laquer coat but once this chips it is death for the alloys. One of the worst things for them is brake dust as this eats into them. If you look closely at a set of alloys that have a number of miles on them you will see small black flecks of corrosion. My car is also fitted with alloys as standard (Volvo) and they are in dire need of refurbishment too. I do like steel wheels for the ease of maintenance but they don't look as pretty do they? :)

Also if you get rid of the low profile tyers, you will get a more comfortable ride, pluss steel wheels are less nickable !!!!!!!
------------Frank-------

Back