Van Stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveH

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just buying new van which I will shelve out. I was wondering if non-slip paint is good enough to paint the shelves with to stop tools etc. from sliding around when travelling? I have used the non-slip matting stapled down before but it does not last long enough and needs to be replaced, sometimes.

Now roll on some free time to actually build the shelves and sort everything out in the back, where i want it.

The re-enactment group I belonged to bought an ex Transco "transit" van (think it was a Merc TBH), left the shelves in for safe storage, with bungees over the top as required. I would seriously consider shelves with front / side lips, possibly sliding & pinned lids.

What do you mean by tools on shelves?
I am imagining screwdrivers and chisels rolling around on shelves.

If I was using a van for tools and working in I would have tools in racks, drawers and cupboards so that everything has it's place and is secure.
Alternaively I would have tools in tool boxes that each have their secure place.

I can't imagine tools on a shelf that can be prone to sliding or rolling off while in transit.

The shelves will all have lipps on them, but its when the shelves dont have much stuff on they boxes etc. slide about within the shelf area, and i find it annoying the sound of them moving about.

Oh, in that case I would have a grippy surface as you are suggesting and then have 'dog' holes in the shelf so that the boxes of stuff could be pushed up to one end and then a dog pushed in the hole.

Even better, if you have racks of fixed shelving then maybe a quick cramp used in spreading mode could be used between shelves to act as a 'book end'.

Alternatively a ratchet strap, with a hook on each end, can be fixed to the back end of each shelf so that boxes on the shelf can be held against the back of the shelf with the strap.

If the boxes are small then maybe bungee straps could be used.

If you have small packages of stuff then maybe a bungee net could be useful.

Latest posts

Back