UNC to metric

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which If amy metric nut will fit a 1/2-13 UNC thread?

Thankd

bugbear":23adqdd9 said:
UNC - 1/2-13

So - 12.7 mm major diameter, 1.9538mm pitch

A metric thread chart shows that the OD jumps from 12mm straight to 14mm, so Im afraid the answer to your question is "no".

http://mdmetric.com/tech/M-thead%20600.htm

BugBear

Yeah I wasn't sure that's why I asked

Is it therefore possible to tap a 3/8-16 thread to make it 1/2-13?

Drill out the 3/8" thread with a 27/64 drill and then tap with the 1/2-13 UNC. Metric drill bit would be 10.7mm (a touch tight) or 10.8 (a touch loose) if you can't get you hands on a 27/64" bit.

If you are going to drill out the thread then why wouldn't you just go to a metric size that you have readily available rather than stick with the UNC?

Pete

The quick answer is I want to fit some kreg casters and their thread is 1/2-13 UNC.

Thanks for that. Didn't even know that place as there. I could walk there from work.

Unc inserts aren't cheap (relatively speaking)- I just bought some 1/4 from eBay but even if they are a pound each they would be cheaper than other solutions, other than possibly epoxy inch in a nut.

I've ordered a sample. Maybe I can find three other to do the same. :)

Sorry to ask another stupid question.

If the current thread is 3/8-16 can this be drilled and re tapped so I can fit a 10mm bolt?

I'm not sure having looked at some figures.

Back