two way hinge(ie) thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Imagine a flat panelled wall. one of the panels say 450x350mm high is hinged both ways so it can pivot from the right, or the left.

Is there such a hinge, or set-up that i can use to achieve this.

The idea is to set an LCD monitor into the wall. i then can turn to face me in the kitchen or turn to face the other direction if someone is sat at the breakfast bar.

What you probably mean is a cranked 2-way hinge like these:

341.20.806P1.JPEG

341.20.806D1.gif

Hafele 341.20.806 or 341.20.815. Designed for use on things like screens, but may not be heavy enough for your application. The only other ones I've used are like these double action spring hinges:

927.90.000P1.JPEG

which are designed to be used on kitchen doors in restaurants and the like. Unfortunately they are sprung self closing although you could always leave out the pins that set the hinge rate.

In either case how would you add a friction lock to either of these types of hinges? I assume that you'd need some sort of locking mechansim to keep the monitor in place

Scrit

hmm, not on the right track :?

I have seen this done before, but i can't find any details in our library. I'll try and draw an image later so you can see the idea.

How about centre pivoting it? There are friction hinges around but all the ones I've seen to date are single action or 360 degree

Scrit

i have thought of that but it won't work as i have a return panel to one end that will restrict the movement.

What i did think about is have two panels. One with the monitor fitted and hinges on the right hand side onto the lower panel. The lower panel is then hinged to the main framing but on the left hand side.

If you want to view the monitor at the breakfast bar you swing the first panel. If you want to view from the kitchen that you swing both (???)

In that case all you'll need is two sets of friction hinges. One name to look for is Hanaya - we've had some of these through a local engineers wholesaler in the past for a stainless-steel welded-up product, although they were drilled so you could use them with timber:

3000-0002-HNG_R_SM.jpg

That sort of hinge is sold into the engineering field rather than woodworking, although you might find the sort sold for windows will meet your needs if you don't mind the ironwork everywhere (probably not):

Egress%20hinges%20HD%20pic.jpg

At least they are available and as you'd need to mount top and bottom they probably wouldn't be too intrusive

Scrit

I have seen a continental window that can do that - also it can tip backwards from the top pivoting at the bottom - all depending on how the handle was manipulated. In essence, it was hinged on rods that were put into place at the appropriate positions and I guess you could do the same for your panel. Using pairs of rods at each side that were either expanded (ie. two rods pushed apart) or contracted to make the hinge by mating with appropriately placed holes top and bottom.

The panel would need to be framed for this to work.

Back