treating reclaimed hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
not long back i posted a thread about refurbashing garden furniture, thanks for the replies on that by the way,
well as it turns out the table and chairs was mainly constructed with dowel joints which had all rotted, also the few joints that where m&t also rotted out so i have put the timber i could salvage into repairing a small table with wraught iron legs that the pine top had rotted to a crumbly mess.
any way my mother inlaw decided to buy teak oil to treat the table with would 2 or 3 coats of this be suffice to withstand being left outside or should it have a coat ontop of something to seal also.

the hardwood looks like the same sort that skirting boards and doors are made from m7y brother thinks it is marantee or something like that

advice will be appreciated

cheers

shaun

Hi Shaun,
The oil should give the timber a nice finish, but will not really protect it.
It will weather over time unless you seal it with varnish etc. However if you do varnish it you will then have to rub down and recoat every couple of years to stop the varnish flaking. Oil will need re-applying every year.

Hope this helps

Julian

Back