Traps.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Garnham":pn8w3886 said:
Why the continual reference to "vermin"? Foxes are an important part of our remnant eco-systems, and I think the use of the word vermin says more about the user than it does about the fox.

Mike

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say there Mike when you refer to "an important part of our remnant eco-systems" are you saying that its important that the foxes kill lots of animals they will not eat, as that provides food for other scavenging species that will not kill for themselves?

Or something else?

No, I'm saying that foxes are important in our ecosystem. They help keep rabbit, mice and vole numbers down, as well as slugs. What fool can't keep a fox out of his chicken run?

We have got rid of other predators in the recent past, and are now suffering the consequences. Deer numbers are a huge problem for our native woodlands, and this is a direct result of eliminating wolves. The reason that foxes are vilified by some is mainly to do with them eating game birds. In arable East Anglia, foxes do far more good than harm to our farmers, keeping rabbit and rat numbers down.........However, the farmers are much more interested in keeping huge numbers of pheasants, a non-native, for sport, and this is the real reason why they don't want foxes about.

Mike

Mike Garnham":2ll81ilu said:
Why the continual reference to "vermin"? Foxes are an important part of our remnant eco-systems, and I think the use of the word vermin says more about the user than it does about the fox.

Mike

I think it says a lot about the meaning of 'vermin'!

the word vermin says more about the user than it does about the fox.

Well Mike, I use it as it is DEFRA's definition, so maybe you are correct!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back