traditional slotted steel woodscrews availability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether theres a supply of these nowadays? Screwsline have always supplied them but cant get hold of stock now. I've heard mention of far eastern products but apparently the screws ain't up to much quality wise.

Anyone know? :)

South West between Bristol and Bath. Looking for an ongoing supplier really..

thanks Malcolm, at risk of being pedantic, I'd need them to be steel self colour. As I understand it, they're not made anymore apart from in the far east where the quality is rubbish YET, you can buy the zinz plated ones!!

You could ask around locally or advertise a wanted ad in your local freecycle.

I got chatting to an old guy down our gym who turned out to be an ex-chippie and had a shed full of slotted screws that he was glad to get shot of :D

Matt@":1wj2l3cl said:
thanks Malcolm, at risk of being pedantic, I'd need them to be steel self colour. As I understand it, they're not made anymore apart from in the far east where the quality is rubbish YET, you can buy the zinz plated ones!!

Try these guys

Adams ironmongers 01213552983 i am sure they don't have a website. its like stepping back in time, and i am certain they have what you want, speak to chris or Tim (he only works part time, but has a really passion for WW and turning) i am sure they can post to you.

Pardon my ignorance/nosiness, but why would you want slotted screws? Is it an aesthetic thing, or are there instances when slots are preferable to cross heads?

Please excuse the noddy question!

disco_monkey79":1auvg13p said:
Pardon my ignorance/nosiness, but why would you want slotted screws? Is it an aesthetic thing, or are there instances when slots are preferable to cross heads?

Please excuse the noddy question!

If he's in the furniture conservation or restoration game, or he makes as near as possible perfect reproductions, traditional slotted screws may be extremely important. Slainte.

Sgian knows :)

I've bought loads from Screwsline in the past and when I last spoke with them, they were looking to sell up an said they couldnt source self colour slot heads anymore. The strange thing is, the price of these screws is actually really cheap and I'm sure people like me would pay at least double the price, if not more....

I just completed a job that required slotted steel screws on the hinges. I am lucky to have a Dad who has a large collection and gave me 3 boxes of different sizes to try.

Latest posts

Back