Toshiba

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Experts

Would anyone recommend this Tosh?

Tecra M5L - Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology featuring Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300/ XP Pro/ 512MB/ 80GB/ 14" XGA/ DVD-CDRW/ 802.11ag/ OneNote

Part Number : PTM50E-013013EN
Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology featuring Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300
Windows® XP Professional
80 GB Hard Disk Drive
512 MB DDR2 RAM (533 MHz)
14.1" XGA TFT display
CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

Windows® XP Professional

Is that Windows® XP Professional, or Toshiba Windows® XP Professional without an install CD, but with a load of additional slowdown-ware and bundled drivers for their proprietary hardware that you'll never find even if you spend a fortnight in Google and don't eat/wash?

Too cynical? I have a Toshiba - never again. :evil:

imho toshiba's additional software is always top notch and never a problem.

I'm a massive fan of toshiba and firmly believe you can not go wrong with them.

Waka the model you have posted looks good enough. My personal favourites are the Portege range, compact and very powerful. The tecra would be my second choice... bigger and, again, very powerful

Hi Waka
Is the 512 ram shared with the graphics card as is on my toshiba lap top ?
I had to purchase more ram ,and what a difference that did make.
It came with the windows pro and Toshiba software and has never crashed or let me down in the last 16 months.

I bought SWMBO a Tosh for Xmas. It is great (good image, nice feel), and I would make the same choice again.

But yes, I did put Office on instead on OneNote.

Cheers
Steve

Any Toshiba laptop is going to be a pretty safe bet IMO. I'm real pleased with mine so far. The Toshiba software is very intuitive to use and doesn't appear to slow mine down (M40 Pro PSM46E-00H002EN). Also has XP Pro - is that an important factor for a reliable computer?

Guys

Thanks for the comments advice, I can't really give any answers to your questions becasue I still waiting for answers from Tosh.

The problem is that the variety to choose from is vast and not understanding too much about what goes on under the cover, I rely heavily on the forum for advice.

We will progress in our search for Waka's silly person proof computer.

Typical types of response for opinions on laptops lol I've had IT Managers that wouldn't touch a Toshiba and loved Dells and others that hated Dells and thought Compaqs were the bees knees etc etc. Things to bear in mind :-

1) Know what you're going to do with the machine - high end games or intensive graphic work require high end machines.

2) As Sawdust Producer says avoid sharing main system RAM with the graphics system.

3) Get a system with plenty of RAM - XP seems to be quite RAM hungry lol (get a Gig)

4) Get a big hard drive - you always underestimate the disk space you need and disk space is cheap (80 gig)

5) Unless you need as small a machine as possible get one with a good sized screen

We have upgraded to Dells at work which seem good but the Compaqs that were in use before seemed solid with most of the problems being user related or down to a low spec compared to the software we were running on them and the company I was at before that used Toshibas and I don't remember many problems with them either - what I see as the main problem with a laptop is the relative difficulty and expense when it comes to upgrade time

Back