Torx and modern screw heads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved the torx screw before have an impact driver but less bothered now but still like them. I didn't really like the toolstation ones though as the thread is not very deep and quite easy to rip the thread in the wood. First discover torx wood screw courtesy of the Spax ones some years ago but they come at a price and not sure any of the big outlets do them now.

The patented types are OK for rapid assembly.If you ever find yourself repairing an item that has had a few years of painting and the philips/pozi/torx head is full of paint,you will have a fight on your hands.An old fashioned slot head and a screwdriver bit in a brace are great things to have in that set of circumstances.

GrahamF":1aml20qy said:
sickasapike":1aml20qy said:
.......... I've been using the Forgefast multipurpose screws from Toolstation (https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p52875?table=no) and they're fabulous, but they're the first I tried; maybe there's something better I'm missing - does anyone have any favourites they might point me at for general interior small-scale woodworking ?

What's the advantage of Torx head over Pozidrive which are readily available everywhere?

1) There seems to be creeping in a wide variation in just exactly what is 'Pozidrive'. I have them from different makers together with so-called Pozidrive bits from various manufacturers. I can guarantee that more times then not, the bit will cam out because of incompatibilities between bit and screw.

2) Torx screws minimise cam out - even when Pozidrive bit and screw are perfectly matched

3) You can still drive the Torx screw in with the driver at an angle...great for a tight spot.

Back