Toolstation Vs Screwfix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to our local Toolstation today. What a contrast with Screwfix.

All four members of staff there said 'hello'
Everything I wanted was in stock.
Free tea & coffee.
My order was only £9.67 (would have been £13.46 at screwfix)

Since their association with Travis Perkins there are now over 40 trade counters round the country.

No I don't work for them! Just a satisfied customer.

Bob

hi bob

that's nice to hear a friendly customer welcome , much better than what i usually get , yea what you want , as he wipes his snot in his sleave at the same time cover his mouth so its just a mumble. hc

I have to say though that the new Toolstation advert is possibly the worst thing I've ever witnessed on television. Even worse than those Meerkat adverts and they are very bad

As it was I used the Toolstation Coventry counter for the first time Saturday and they were top notch :D :D

Mind you the £10 off my first spend over £20 voucher was a most rewarding feeling :roll: :roll:

Andy

Calpol":jy1wbxk8 said:
I have to say though that the new Toolstation advert is possibly the worst thing I've ever witnessed on television. Even worse than those Meerkat adverts and they are very bad

I know what you mean about the Meerkat ad. Fortunately, I've not seen the Toolstation one; one of the benefits of not watching much TV.

Bob

Calpol":wdfxpqao said:

We saw the Meerkat one for the first time this evening and afterwards said to each other 'what were they advertising?'

Another fan of Toolstation, here. I try to use them over Screwfix where possible. They often seem to work out cheaper too, even if they're range isn't quite as grand.

I'm glad they've reduced the size of the their catalogues too. :wink:

RogerS":26m492hg said:
Calpol":26m492hg said:

We saw the Meerkat one for the first time this evening and afterwards said to each other 'what were they advertising?'

I know what you mean Roger.

These ads belong to a category that generally requires you to know the product already but is meaningless if you don't.
So why do they run the advert. Ok so it is mildly amusing on the first time of seeing it but after that it just becomes annoying.

Bob

The Screwfix trade counter here at Chichester must be the odd one out. The staff are friendly and helpful and attentive - the last two times I've been in they have a member of staff with the catalogues offering help and advice to find the required products. The staff at the order desk have also phoned to see when things will be available. i really can't fault them.

Misterfish

On line service is good too.
BUT.....
if you talk to the building trade most of their building supplies outlets have suffered from poor customer service, and their prices are generally higher than smaller places.
That's the problem when the share and stock holders want higher returns.

The old screw fix, before it was sold to kingfisher gave excellent srvice.

Enjoy, while you can.

Mike

dicktimber":1vz2cman said:
The old screw fix, before it was sold to kingfisher gave excellent service.

Funny you should say that as the guy who sold srewfix then started (After a while) Toolstation...(Goddard-Watts)
He also owns Silverline so that's where allot of their stuff comes from and why it can be cheaper

You have to hand it to Goddard-Watts for his business model.

As you say he started up Screwfix successfully and sold it to the Kingfisher group who put in the investment for the trade counters. He then started up Toolstation and has now sold 30% to Travis Perkins who have an option to buy the rest in the next 4 years (maybe 3 by now). They are putting in the money to set up the trade counters.
TP themselves look like they are following a similar model to Kingfisher.
They have 'proper' builders merchants under the TP name, they have Wickes for the discount DIY market, and Focus a bit further up market. Now with a good mail order sector and quick service trade counters from TS they are set to compete with Kingfisher.

It will be interesting to see who comes out on top post-recession.

Bob

Bob,
Don't bet your money on it with TP.....
take a look at the outlets you mention...Wicks for instance..IMO a poor poor builders merchants and DIY store.(what is that place supposed to be anyway...maybe a garden centre, who knows)
Maybe the stores arrd the country differ but up here you couldn't count on getting 3x2 on a regular basis, never mind flat sheet, and the display of power tools is equally as poor.

Mike

I have been using Screwfix at Kettering and found them friendly and helpful. However, recently discovered Toolstation at Coventry and they are just as friendly etc but as noted above cheaper.

I don't think Wickes are too bad for a DIY outlet. at least they keep their kiln dried PAR dry and warm inside the store not outside in an open shed as do B&Q!

Graham

Back