tite-mark gauge details req'd please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Paul, I can't bring myself to cough up the money for a Tite-mark, as nice as they might be.

1/3 the price of a nice bench plane is a lot.

And I can buy a motorized planer cheaper than many a hand plane...

It's all realative to how much inclination/desire/effort vs. money one wishes to expend.

Mike
who is sounding like a broken record...

Alf":24ehwbwm said:
MikeW":24ehwbwm said:
Teasing? Wot that?
And so was I...
Ach, I'm as dense as a lead balloon. #-o
Cheers, Alf
And after reading my original statement--it didn't sound too much like teasing. :roll:

But I was serious about the lack of sanity! I think. Maybe. Perhaps.

Mike
whoshouldgobacktoworknow

Dammit, will you lot give over, or I'm gonna have to have one out of sheer embarrassment at not showing any taste and discernment... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Who is getting to the desperate stage in trying to think of something to ask for for Crimbo, so might be in real danger of giving in and taking the next step towards turning into Rob Cosman. If I start saying "aboot" instead of "about" I'm really in trouble...

Alf":4jf00t17 said:
Dammit, will you lot give over, or I'm gonna have to have one out of sheer embarrassment at not showing any taste and discernment... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Who is getting to the desperate stage in trying to think of something to ask for for Crimbo, so might be in real danger of giving in and taking the next step towards turning into Rob Cosman. If I start saying "aboot" instead of "about" I'm really in trouble...
Does it make you feel any better that I use the ones below far more than the TiteMark?

Top is the ubiquitous Stanley of way too new a vintage to be called vintage. Pin, of course.

Middle is an easily found--every hardware store here abouts--General. Super for marking the depth of sockets and pin depths. Stay very steady on the end of a board. And they are inexpensive. Fixed wheel.

Bottom is the Disston mortise gauge. Fixed and movable pin via the adjuster at the back. Easier to use than the TiteMark.

I like/am use to these two pin types. With the head snugged and held, one just gives a light tap against the bench on one end or the other to adjust them.

gauges_0001.jpg

Take care,
Mike

ydb1md":31i67efo said:
MikeW":31i67efo said:
Record? What's a record?
Is that one of those vinyl thingies? ;)
Yep. On one of 3 turntables. Complete with a tube amp and preamp to drive the Klipsch Corner Horns...

Take care, Mike
doing his part to stay off topic :lol:

MikeW":2aus1coi said:
ydb1md":2aus1coi said:
MikeW":2aus1coi said:
Record? What's a record?
Is that one of those vinyl thingies? ;)
Yep. On one of 3 turntables. Complete with a tube amp and preamp to drive the Klipsch Corner Horns...

Take care, Mike
doing his part to stay off topic :lol:

Oooh. I saw the original set of Klipsh Corner horns at Paul Klipsh's workshop back in '71.

Philly":1mw8borl said:
waterhead37":1mw8borl said:
Come on Paul, don't be a Tite-wad, just buy the darn thing and be happy!

It marks well, it cuts well, and it looks good - plus, it is so easy to set accurately. What more do you need?
The Man's got a point :lol:
Philly :D

I get far more satisfaction from making things that work well than buying things that work well. It's a sense of achievement thing.

BugBear

bugbear":3bz07pfz said:
I get far more satisfaction from making things that work well than buying things that work well. It's a sense of achievement thing.

BugBear

I'll second that......if you fancy a square shafted one i've got some spares left over requiring a bit of effort to make good.
I meant to say earlier the glen drake shaft is 5/16ths not 7 16ths (struggling with conversions these days) and the other is 8mm overall length is 7 inchs.

Ian

busy making ****** and getting better at it

bugbear":34aw0uc3 said:
It's a sense of achievement thing.
Of course it also depends whether you get that sense of achievement from making a tool work - or making some wood into something else. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Who is regularly torn between both :oops:

Alf":3e8vu7cp said:
Of course it also depends whether you get that sense of achievement from making a tool work - or making some wood into something else. :wink:

hmm. poll?

BugBear

bugbear":3rp5hffh said:
Alf":3rp5hffh said:

hmm. poll?
Go on then. Don't forget the "both" option, that's all. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

OK. Some maths later, I think that the diameter of the marking wheel is 0.387".

(.387 - .3125) / 2 = .037;

This make the cut 0.037 " deep (around 4/100"), or even more approximately 1/20".

With a bevel angle of 35 degrees;

tan(35) * .037;

I get 0.026" or around 1/40". Quite substantial, really.

Thanks to all.

BugBear

Reground (didn't take long) my cutting gauge blade to have a much steeper bevel.

As predicted, it makes a wider mark, and is actually a little easier in use, since it isn't burying itself so deep.

The downside is that if you want a cut as opposed to a mark, it's not so deep. But for DT's it's very suitable.

If you wanted a full-on cutting slitting gauge (e.g. for veneer) it would be plain wrong ;-)

BugBear

bugbear wrote:
Alf wrote:

Of course it also depends whether you get that sense of achievement from making a tool work - or making some wood into something else.

hmm. poll?

Isn't that covered in the "why do you do it?" poll? It seems that Owning/Collecting/Using Tools is in a minority of 7 percent. A very distinguished minority however, IMHO!

Latest posts

Back