Time for a bigger workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
After around 30 years I finally decided to buy myself a new table saw, and settled on the Scheppach TS2010. I think it's going to cost me more than I thought though, as my workshop was already frustratingly small, and the new saw has just about pushed me over the edge.
I have bench, table-saw, planer/thicknesser, lathe, Multico morticer, pillar drill, dust extractor, storage cupboard etc all in about 12' x 8'. Frankly, this drives you nuts, as although the planer & saw are on lockable castors, it's maddening to have to keep positioning and repositioning machines. So, I'm considering a bigger workshop. Got a few options.

1. Build one myself - probably timber rather than block/brick.

2. Buy a ready-made timber one (any thoughts on suppliers appreciated).

3. Convert my double-garage (just over 20' square) and put up a car-port.

4. Any other ideas?

One advantage of the existing 'shop is that it's a lean-too on the end of the house, so is comparatively warm. Any replacement will probably have a woodburner (we've got three in the house, so one more won't matter!).
If anyone else has been down this route and has any recommendations or knows of traps for the unwary, I'd be grateful for your thoughts!

Many thanks!

take a look at mine self built
my temp webpage
sorry pics are not all that great just a quick website setup so i could get some pics uploaded

all 4x2 frame 25mm planed t&g (19mm final size) 30`pitch
concrete tiled roof
with all the hot weather lately its been the coldest place i have been
still work in progress though, guttering etc and inside to add dust extractor as per the long thread
here
and also to position table saw pillar drill and bandsaw(which i havent bought yet) into final positions

cheers

shaun

It's always time for a bigger workshop :wink:

I would go for the build-it-yourself option - you have more chance of getting it how you want it.
Built my own about 18 months ago,out of brick - but this was mainly to match the existing shed that I extended.If I was building one as a new seperate structure,I would go for timber studwork - easier to fit pipes/cables/insulation - you would just have to be careful where you sited the woodburner :shock:

Andrew

Bear in mind that timber workshops are technically portable/ temporary and subsequently not subject to the same planning regs.

Woodburners are no prob in a timber framed ws as long as you line it with plasterboard.

I never drew plans for mine but I can dig out some wip and finish pics if you like. Its 6 x 4.8m and 3.8m at the ridge (4m being a planning cuttoff :wink: ).

Cheers

Tim

tim":1lxvhv9d said:
Bear in mind that timber workshops are technically portable/ temporary and subsequently not subject to the same planning regs.

I don't think that's right, Tim. I think it may have been the case some time ago, but there were too many people abusing the temporary/portable exceptions and they closed the exceptions right down.

Tim - would be interested in any pics you have, as that size, or maybe a bit larger if money/planning permits is probably around what I would be aiming for. I'd also like to go for reclaimed materials as much as possible - probably need good security on it too.

Is your existing double garage solidly built? If so, I would have thought that the best bet would be to convert this and build yourself a car port. This would also be the quickest solution. Probably not the best solution if it's an old asbestos cement job though!!

I have a similar amount of machinery in my 18ft square garage and still manage to get the car in as well, although the dust extractor lives in a lean-to at the back. It all keeps pretty dry too since I put in a vapour barrier and insulated the walls

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

David

pidgeonpost":2xj450o9 said:
1. Build one myself - probably timber rather than block/brick.

2. Buy a ready-made timber one (any thoughts on suppliers appreciated).

3. Convert my double-garage (just over 20' square) and put up a car-port.

4. Any other ideas?

Option 3 - well almost. Convert your garage, leave your car or cars outside (that's why they paint them) and spend the car-port money on more tools. Also use your existing worskop as a woodstore.

Good luck
Mike

Gloucestershire, it appears that you do not need planning permission as long as you keep to their guidelines. http://www.gloucester.gov.uk/Content.as ... 1&urn=2860

Up here in Scotland, as long as the building is 5m from the house and is not over a certain size your ok.

IMHO Unless you are going to build a 20x20 wooden workshop, I would use your double garage, and either leave your car outside, or better still put a couple of your machines on wheels and move them out of the way when you put the car away for the night.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2tpe6yrs said:
Gloucestershire, it appears that you do not need planning permission as long as you keep to their guidelines. http://www.gloucester.gov.uk/Content.as ... 1&urn=2860
Mike

That's building regulations which is another consideration. The planning permission situation is summarised pretty well here:

http://www.southend.gov.uk/content.asp? ... ntent=4326

Tim, I didn't mean that you are in breach, just that it being wooden or brick doesn't affect the PP situation either way.

Wood or brick construction does slightly affect the build - it must be more than one metre from any boundary unless built of primarily non-combustible materials (e.g. bricks/blocks)

Andrew

To avoid a building regs application, yes - irrelevant for planning though.

Some really interesting stuff coming together here! Converting the garage (which is detached, rendered & Sandtexed concrete block), is probably the cheapest option. I'd need to line it for warmth, crank up the security, and would probably be in business. There would be no planning issues either. I did use the garage as a workshop for a short while, but condensation and rust were a real problem. Not sure how best to combat those - can't squirt WD40 around too much when woodworking.
Only drawback is scraping the car in the mornings - we're in a frost pocket, and in winter the frost sometimes builds for days.

Mike.C":2fckkvkz said:
Maybe it's me but i still read, that except for a few "reg's", you do not need permission if your shed comes within them.

You're quite right - for domestic use as long as you keep within the limits set out in that link (which unless you have a small garden are pretty permissive) a shed is permitted development and you don't need to make an application.

As has been said you will not require regs, but as from recently you will have to comply on the electrics side of things, and to that end you will need an accredited electician. Or DIY and have it inspected which would probably cost the same. Or just DIY and forget about it.

David

All properties have 'permitted development rights', which may, or may not be intact. If they have been removed, then planning permission is required. If they are still present, then no planning permission is required, but three factors must be taken into account for a hobby workshop at home:
The building must be more than 5m from the house.
The building must be single storey.
It must be for home/hobby use only.
When I built mine, I had a visit from the a local planning officer as a 'friendly' neighbour had complained. When he arrived, armed with a tape measure, he saw what I was doing and promptly left within 15 seconds - no problems.
If in any doubt, just call in at your local planning office and let them know what you intend to do and they will tell you exactly what you can or cannot do regarding PP and Building Regs, if applicable.
My better half has just completed an accountancy course and was regaling me the other day about the penalties of charging for your work if the workshop is for hobby use only and you get caught - beware! - Rob

Latest posts

Back