Timber storage question. Large waterproof marquee / tent?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I intend to build a timber framed building (3 bay garage and similar sized kitchen) starting next spring. This includes fitting out a full kitchen.

For well over ten years I have had stored in a barn in Warwickshire several oak trees that I felled from a farm where I used to live. I think they are probably seasoned by now....These were all part prepped on site with a portable band saw by the guy who did the felling as they were intended for another building. In the end I bought a full old French frame for that instead. The beams are roughed out and have been stored staked, on air gap spacers. From memory I have a couple of trees cut into wide boards, and these are spacer stacked as well. I am going to get some prep work done by a saw mill either in Warwickshire or Kent (as I want about 100 sq metres of floor boards) , but then ideally will need to store the materials close to where I want to use them. I have plenty of space for this. Just not covered space.

I am wondering if it is a stupid idea to buy a waterproof Marquee type tent to store most of the timber? These are not crazily expensive for one that is say a double car port size. Obviously I would secure it down against wind. I know I can't control the ambient temperature or humidity for this amount of material. I see no reason why this should not be fine for the framing timber and beams. Not sure about the flooring planks, although they could go in a garage bay and be covered in a tarpaulin. I won't do this through the worst of the winter, but I need to start making plans to shift and handle the timber now as Spring 2016 will soon be upon us! Plus, we are selling the barn.

Any brilliant ideas gratefully accepted.

Adrian

I have used marquees as hospitality tents for motorhome rallies. No matter how well you tie them down the weak spots are the flimsy windows that shred in Autumn winds for a pastime. Supplied ground pegs are too small and flimsy and the zips panels provided for entry points blow open in a stiff breeze. Providing you replace the windows with solid panels, secure the zips and use decent ground pegs you should be fine. The humidity will always be the same as outside, much the same as a barn. without supplementary heating any building will be the same. Not all marquees are equal be sure to get a heavy duty jobbie.

Thanks. I had not considered the windows. I looked at a few online designed as temporary garages and I didn't see windows in them. Securing it down is a bit of a worry but I have a stock of heavy stones stored for doing Japanese style garden, so that should work. I have a vague idea that once work starts, the tent can be used as a temporary workshop / site shelter. Once the new garage is up and roofed, then the problem is solved anyway. My main concern is the floorboard timber. I may end up getting it commercially stored and dried.

AJB Temple":2r2vym84 said:
I may end up getting it commercially stored and dried.
How about a self storage facility ? They tend to be warm(ish) and dry, certainly closer to a final domestic environment than an open tent/shed. I'd paint/seal the board ends to prevent over rapid drying though.

I have seen a very large one used for timber/materials storage, but mostly man-made boards and board+softwood assemblies (painted).
It seemed to work all right but I can ask the person who managed it later in the week if you're interested. I think that particular one had a fairly rigid roof though (the sides were plasticised canvas). It may have originally been agricultural, or intended for large summer exhibitions.

Latest posts

Back