Thoughts on SIP 01497 anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Due to the upcoming arrival of a sprogling, I have been most reluctantly forced to get rid of the beloved MG and get a 'sensible' car (apparently gaffer taping a child seat to the bootlid is frowned upon). This does mean that as the new car will not fit in the garage I have been provisionally given permission from SWMBO to make use of it as a workshop!
Finally I will have room to swing a slightly larger mouse and so I wanted to get a planer/thicknesser as the first new piece of kit.
I did check out the thread about other members machines, but the popular ones seem to be weighing in at around £500+ and that's waaaay beyond my meagre budget, but this SIP 01497 seems to coming in at under half that. Does anyone have any experience of it or know someone who does or have any general opinions on it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Any comments are welcome as always. Sorry I missed you all at the Ally Pally show for the second year running!

V.

Hi there V.

I dont have any experience of the SIP model but i think it's from the same stable as the Scheppach Woodstar model

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611085&r=2125&g=116

No personal use of this either sadly but it got 3 1/2 stars in the latest GWW magazine leaflet on planer thicknessers. It does say its a hobby model though and i've seen them in M.Mart and it's a bit flimsy. The fence needs addressing as it's only pressed steel, but a hardwood facing should sort that out.

I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for so as long as you dont expect pro quality finishing then it should be okay.
Maybe you could find an outlet that will let you try it first?

I must admit I have considered these models myself as I have a (very!) limited budget too. I may go down the 'separates' avenue and buy a jointer then a planer later as and when I can afford them. We'll see.

Anyways, hope that's been of some help and good luck with whatever you settle for mate.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info. I figured it would probably be a little light given the price, but I'm far from a fine craftsman, I'm still very much learning, so I think I might go for this cheaper option and maybe get a Camvac (or similar) collector too (not sure the ancient Dyson vacuum I use for dust collection currently would cope with the avalanche of shrapnel from a p/t!).

Cheers,

V.

Latest posts

Back