Telescopes, spotting scopes and binoculars?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
We about to move into the house that we have been renovation for the last year or so, and one of the first things on my 'wish list' of gadgets to buy, is something to look at this stunning view with.

P1020832.jpg

The distance to the horizon is approx 20miles, and I am at a loss to know whether to buy a telescope, spotting scope or just a decent pair of good old binoculars. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated, as doing a Google search on the subject, just got me further confused! Any recommendations of makes to buy or avoid would also be welcomed.

Eddie

Depends what you want to see.

Generally a pair of binicolars will be wonderful for the view. OT pick out birds etc. in trees, I would go for a terestrial spotter scope.

I have a Meade 10" astronomicla telescope and to be honest, it would be useless for looking at your view, although mars, jupiter (and its moons), saturn (rings and moons), and our moon as well as deep space stuff like spiral galaxies make it worth every penny and the only problem is that once you look at them through it, you never want to stop.........

Looks like you won't have much light polution, so in the long term, a nice deep space telescope and a teretrial spotter :wink:

Thanks for the reply Tony, I must admit that I'm in a bit of a dilemma about it, as when I went to the house one evening about a month ago, the site that greeted me complicated the choice.
The sunset was fantastic, but the moon was even better. I only have a cheapo camera, but you can still see how clear things are from the house.

use1-5.jpg

P1020956.jpg

The above left me wondering whether I now also needed something that would enable me to spend many a happy night just gazing at the stars! :)

Hi Eddie
How do you fancy a combination of binoculars and spotting scope
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/3709595845_b1bc5e5bb8.jpg
bought these back in 96 for £289. and never used them
They are Fumoto 2050 fully waterproof field scope that need a tripod to steady the view which is the main reason I have not used them,
If you are interested PM me and we can discuss price.

Cheers Nigel

I can't help with sight enhancement but you have a beautiful view with the naked eye. :D :D
enjoy

travis

Back