tamboti

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike s

Established Member
Reaction score
has anyone turned this wood?
what is it like to turn, what does it finish like? etc. etc.
i have a 4x2" blank and i want to know what to expect before making plans for it
thanks

Hi Mike,

It's quite dense, dense enough infact to take a thread, polishes lovely. The only down side is that it stinks!! Very distinctive spicey type smell, one of those "Marmite" type smells that some will like and others hate.

Nice wood though!

Cheers

Richard

Oh dear. You'd better wear a good mask or lay out some cushions behind you then cos this is one of the smelliest I've used!!!

Good luck!!

Richard

Hi Mike,

I assume your tamboti is dry - because the sap is toxic. You should probably also be careful with the dust. Apparently, it is bad for the eyes and can even cause blindness. I would guess that it's not a good idea to breathe it in.

Here in South Africa, the most important thing is to avoid burning it. The smoke gives you the runs and it's very important to make sure you don't burn any in your barbecue. :lol:

Cheers
Steve

thanks everyone

thanks for the heads up steve
yes its dry
hopefully i dont screw it up and get tempted to throw it in the fire :)

mike s":14fzk6rk said:
im not one for smelly woods
too smelly and i get a headache and go dizzy :S
In that case stay away from Camphor Laurel too.

I bought a piece at Ally Pally because it looked to have a nice grain and colour and although it smelt a bit it wasn't too overpowering at the time.

However once on the lathe and the shavings came off (it turned beautifully) the smell got stronger and stronger until I got to a point where I had a headache and generally felt "off". I'd got as far as the final sanding of the inside but gave up and put it in a shed where it still is and I'm hoping it will dry enough to finish sanding without smelling too much.

That was a week ago and the garage still stinks like a Vicks factory!

Back