T Mobile price increase, how can they get away with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I took out a 24 month T Mobile contract late last year. The agent in the shop told me £26 / month all in.

A letter drops on my door mat yesterday telling my contract was going up by £1.50 / month as a result of inflation. The agent never mentioned anything about the possibility of the contract increasing in price.

If the banks sold fixed price mortgages, but then wrote to customers telling them their rate was going up because of inflation they would be mauled for it.

Not happy about this :evil:

I had this issue with them last year i think. In the contract there is some small print saying that they can increase the cost of the tariff if needs be. However all is not lost. Google this issue and there will be many in the same boat complaining. Also there is an option to leave the contract, it's there in google. Basically ofcom say that you are entitled to cancel the contract if you not agree to this price increase, as you have budgeted down to the last penny every month. If you go this route, read it up on google first, i cannot remember the part of the ofcom rules it comes under.

Cancel and go elsewhere,if enough do that then these companies will realise that a contract means just that and not something they can change because thier profits are not high enough.

I would cancel, but I know T Mobile will hammer me to get out of the contract as the phone is a Galaxy S2.

I will however contact them to see what they say.

If you google the issue there is a clause put in the rules by ofcom, you can get out of the contract without payment. But it might be a bit of a fight.

carlb40":3d9872ri said:
I had this issue with them last year i think. In the contract there is some small print saying that they can increase the cost of the tariff if needs be. However all is not lost. Google this issue and there will be many in the same boat complaining. Also there is an option to leave the contract, it's there in google. Basically ofcom say that you are entitled to cancel the contract if you not agree to this price increase, as you have budgeted down to the last penny every month. If you go this route, read it up on google first, i cannot remember the part of the ofcom rules it comes under.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Ofcom consultation period only ended a couple of weeks ago. At the moment, I think you may be stuck with it.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/01/03/of ... ice-rises/

Interesting thread!

I have a similar problem with O2 who increased my tariff from 28th February by 3.2%. and as I have 2 iphones on the account I was really pi**ed off even though the actual increase isn't a fortune.
A cursory phone call got little sympathy and as my contract ends in June I wasn't too worried as I know I will more than get it back when negotiating a new deal or it's certain they will lose a customer.
It's time that they were prevented from increasing a fixed contract as surely they are misrepresenting the term "fixed" and therefore guilty of sharp practice.

My complaint to Ofcom has already gone in.

Bob

Orange just did this to me, been a customer for 8 years (started with 2 phones, me and the wife, now have 3), and when the contract was up last Novemeber, they said I had to go on a new type of call plan, something to do with it being an internet phone. It went up a few quid, but I wasnt bothered. Now they tell me its going up by 1.70 something a month. When I said they never did this before, they said that it was because I was on an old type contract where the price wes locked in for the duration, but on this new one they can!! Greedy conniving robbers!

Latest posts

Back