Stunning demonstration of the power of films

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Its not often that I am amazed, being a bit of a cynical bloke by nature. Take a look at this video clip, and ask yourself whether anything we see on TV or particularly in film can be considered 'real' anymore?

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2010/stargate-showcase-reel-p1.php

For sure we all know that stunts are faked and highly controlled, but some of the blue screen use in this is superb - even for TV shows like Monk, where you wouldn't even consider that the outside locations are actually studio based. Still reckon we can believe everything we see?!

Steve

That really is interesting!

I never really gave much thought to the possibility that the actors might not actually be where they're portrayed to be.

I was watching the bonus section on the Black hawk Down DVD a while back. The SFX guys were saying that they consider their job to be a failure if the audience remarks on how good the SFX were. The brain should not even question the fact that what they're seeing isn't real.

chingerspy":2cr3q8ik said:
That was interesting, it's amazing how much blue/green screen is put into even city based TV shows.

It's been going on for years - even the ceilings in some of the room-scenes in Gone With The Wind were matted in.

BugBear (who sat through a documentary on "Gone With The Wind")

It's totally unbelievable how much of a film or tv program is now made inside a studio or pc compared to years ago. :shock: I know its been going on a good few years, but a great deal of it was still out on location.

I have spent two terms of living in the LA (3 years and 18 months) and especially back in the 70's/80's I used to go and watch parts of films being shot. In fact believe it or not I was in a film called "Blood Beach", well ok the back of my head in among about 50 others was, and that was from about 100 yards away :roll: It was a scene set on Santa Monica Beach where the camera just scans people laying in the sun, when all of a sudden the monster comes up from under the sand and sucks someone under :roll: We all got $50 bucks (which was not to bad back then) and I met Burt Young the actor, only because he loved the Cockney accent :lol:
Anyway my point is they had to dig a big hole about 12 feet deap right by the pier for this monster to pop out of. Now it would all be done inside a laptop or as the link shows in front of a blue screen.

I watched a few episode's of the old Charlies Angles being shot on Santa Monica pier too, and I suppose the fun fair that was on the pier would now all be placed into the film. And the days where Paramount etc would shut down a whole street to shoot a car chase is a thing of the past. Sad really because a lot of fan's of any particular actor, will not now have the enjoyment of seeing them work.

Well that was a lot of useless information.

Cheers

Mike

Back