Stackable MDF Boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I thought I would post a picture of one of the projects I have been working on for a while, as without the help of some of the people on here I would not have got such a good result.

Plan was to make a series of boxes from MDF, with minimum waste from each sheet, which can then be stackable, and readily moved if required.

Initally I spoke to Dodge at the sharpening event earlier in the year, and he suggested the best jointing method was was either biscuit jointer or Domino. I didn't have either, so asked on here a good one to get, and ultimately bought one second hand (thanks Roger S).

Progress was slow (lack of clamps being a limiting factor) but eventually got them all together. I then was concerned about the finishing, and Mailee took time out from his busy schedule to tell me the way he would prep them and paint them (Morrells 2K).

Pretty happy with the result (I know its not everyones cup of tea), especially the finish, not bad for a novice sprayer!

So I just wanted to say thank you to those involved.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• P1030234.JPG
    P1030234.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,576
Hi Easy

Yes they are all separate, plan is to clip them together, the floor isn't that flat! I could bolt them but then lose the flexibility.

They are all 404 mm cubed, so works with 2440 x1220 sheet. Small 50 mm or so upstand at the back for strength and to stop books falling out!

I made 22 of the things, daughter wants to paint a couple purple...

Cheers

Mark

Well they look pretty good from here. Congrats. 22 = A bit of a slog sometimes but you got there. Best wishes and to those who helped.

I like them, is the finishing technique on here somewhere ? Can you link to it for me, ? as I will be doing an MDF cupboard soon and we want to paint that.

Hi

Re Finishing...

I took advice from Mailee on this and it worked, so I hope I am not giving away secrets..

Once the boxes were glued I rubbed them all down, especially the edges with 120 grit sandpaper. I then painted the edges with Zinnser BIN (the meths based version) and then rubbed down with 240 grit. Process was then repeated to get a good finish on the edge.

I had been fortunate enough to buy a Earlex HLVP spray system (the 3900 I think) locally for next to nothing, never been used. I bought Morrells spray 2 pack primer and 2 pack top coat. 5 L of each, with thinners, brush cleaner, suitable mask came to £140.

I vacuumed all the boxes and wiped them with a slightly damp cloth to get all the dust off them before spraying.

I struggled getting the mix of the primer right for the gun, and in some cases managed beautiful spatter effect.... and came to the conclusion that better to have a thinner mix rather than thicker...

Once the primer was done all were rubbed back with 240 grit (or somewhat more aggressive where required). If the mix was right each could be rubbed down in a couple of minutes, where it was wrong 20 minutes was more the norm.

I vacuumed and wiped them all down again, before doing the top coat. Lessons from the primer made it a lot easier to do, and the finished was very good straight away. I had a couple with runs, but left them overnight and rubbed back and resprayed. The finish was good enough without de-nibbing

The colour is satin white, 40% sheen. The process is quite simple, just a slog to do 22 of them.

Cheers

Mark

Back