Spear & Jackson saw, is it a Record?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Cleaning up an old hand saw saved from a skip. 26" blade 5 point apparently rip filed.
Handle has embossed:

NON BREAK HANDLE Patent No 402,274

In case of doubt there is a repeat on the button on the end of the bar through the handle:

Patent No 402,274

There's a medallion over one of the handle bolts which reads from the centre outward:

S&J (plus Crown logo)
SPEAR & JACKSON.SHEFFIELD.
SPEAR & JACKSON HAVE AN EXPERIENCE AS SAW MAKERS EXTENDING OVER 100 YEARS
ALL SAWS BRANDED SPEAR & JACKSON ARE FULLY WARRANTED
(plus several mysterious logos)

On the blade there's an array of lettering and patterns, from the top:

"SPEARIOR"
MERMAID
TRADE MARK (mermaid logo in the middle)
LONDON..............SPRING
SPEAR & JACKSON
SHEFFIELD
THE PERFECTION OF QUALITY AND WORKMANSHIP
IMPROVED 88 QUALITY

Then on the left it says:

INSPECTED FOR
HARDNESS & SPRING

On the right:

THIS SAW IS MADE FROM
T - H - S
(TOUGH) (HARD) (SPRINGY)
SUPER SAW STEEL

My question is - is this a record for words on a saw?

I sharpened it (with difficulty) as it seems to be made of tough hard springy super saw steel! Surprise surprise.
Something tells me it was probably made by Spear & Jackson

That word "IMPROVED" has some strange meanings at times ...

The Spear and Jackson in front of me can't compete with yours. It is a 9tpi crosscut with a wooden handle, and offers only:

(in gold, on the handle)
SPEAR & JACKSON
(on medallion)
SJ
A SPEAR & JACKSON GUARANTEED TOOL backed by 200 years sawmaking experience
(on blade)
SPEAR & JACKSON
NEW SPEARIOR
Long Life Steel - Stays Sharp - Made in Sheffield - England

So you may have a record. Now my question is - contrary to what it says, the blade has patently not stayed sharp, though it has had such a life that it can't be blamed. It is still rust free and shiny, but missing the odd tooth, and has a remarkable amount of fleam. Is it a good saw ? worth the bother of major sharpening ?

Spearior saws are very good

spearior88.JPG

spearior88_handle.JPG

Well worth the 3 quid I paid.

BugBear

Mine was free.
S&J are top notch saws. Generally unpretentious but very good quality.

Jacob":1vfjka22 said:

Dunno about "unpretentious", whatever that means in a saw. They were Britain's premier saw maker, and the first to copy the new Disston designs, with prices to match, at least until the 1970's.

BugBear

Nice saw but not a record, some saws had whole paragraphs on them, about some history, or sharpening instructions for no-set saws, or anything you can imagine.

bugbear":k3xn1erl said:
Jacob":k3xn1erl said:

Dunno about "unpretentious", whatever that means in a saw. They were Britain's premier saw maker, and the first to copy the new Disston designs, with prices to match, at least until the 1970's.

BugBear
Surely Disston copied S&J, or if not then another Sheffield pre-cursor? Saws weren't invented in America, they were taken there by Europeans.

Jacob":1h0erhil said:
bugbear":1h0erhil said:
Jacob":1h0erhil said:

BugBear
Surely Disston copied S&J, or if not then another Sheffield pre-cursor? Saws weren't invented in America, they were taken there by Europeans.

The confidence and abrasiveness of your statements combined with the depth of your ignorance never ceases to amaze.

Learn something about the history of saw technology, and try again.

BugBear

bugbear":2781gahe said:
Jacob":2781gahe said:
bugbear":2781gahe said:

BugBear

The confidence and abrasiveness of your statements combined with the depth of your ignorance never ceases to amaze.

Learn something about the history of saw technology, and try again.

BugBear
F off bugbear you tedious twerp.

Gentleman!

I see a bit of mis communication. Of course, the handsaw is not an American invention. But bb wrote about the NEW design from Diston. I suppose he means the skew back.

Corneel":a6l69zbp said:
Gentleman!

I see a bit of mis communication. Of course, the handsaw is not an American invention. But bb wrote about the NEW design from Diston. I suppose he means the skew back.

Quite right.

BugBear

Back