Something a bit different

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
A guy called in to the workshop the other day and presented me with this lamp:

P3190026.JPG

He told me that he had made it at school (this was a guy well in his 60's) and now decided it needed a bit of TLC. He nolonger has access to a lathe and so he tried to tidy it up with a spokeshave which wasn't overly successful so he decided to see if I could help. He asked me to re-shape it a bit (shorten it and add a bit of curve to the body) and then polish it up a bit for him. No problem says I:

P3190029.JPG

After re-cutting it

P3200031.JPG

I gave it a couple of coats of my Waterbourne Sanding Sealer, sprayed on with my compressor powered spray gun. I'm pretty happy with it and hopefully he will be too. He's collecting on Monday so fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Richard

I would imagine that sort of commission is fraught with stress Richard. Unless he was pretty specific in his requests I would be nervous of messing up his treasured heirloom. Looks good to me, let's hoe it does to him as well

pete

Hit the mark with the proportions there Richard, some trepidation no doubt wondering what you might come across at the old joint lines.
At least the wood was dry :lol:

I wonderd what that was Richard, you get a great mix of commison's, you never know what will walk thru the door next eh :D

Thanks all for your comments guys.

Wood Addict: You have good eyes!!! You can never have too many ice cream tubs!!!

Pete & Chas: You know what? It never even crossed my mind to be worried!! The guy described what he was after and I said ok. It was clear to me how to hold it, with it having a hole straight down the centre and it never accured that it could de-laminate on me!! Half an hour with a nice sharp roughing gouge and chisel (although the glue - or something - really took the edge off!!) and it came out pretty well. Not sure if it's confidence from experience or if I'm just a bit thick :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock: !!

George: That's why I love my work, I get my regular production stuff which offers it's own type of challenge and pays the bills and then there's these little jobs which come up and challenge me in different ways. I love it!!!

Cheers

Richard

Richard Findley":1bc3b36y said:
That's why I love my work, I get my regular production stuff which offers it's own type of challenge and pays the bills and then there's these little jobs which come up and challenge me in different ways. I love it!!!
It's great to hear of someone who's so happy in their work.... :)

Richard, the reshaped lamp looks much better than the old.
This guy knew what he did with asking you to do this for him.
Looks like it is made of a glue up model.
Went out very well.
Ad

Latest posts

Back