Some recent turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATWOOD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have been playing on my lathe

100_0617.jpg

100_0620.jpg

100_0616.jpg

100_0621.jpg
[/img]

comments and criticism however harsh will be greatly appreciated

Hi - like the captive ring goblet,but a couple of questions :-

1)What wood did you use ?

and

2)If that is a mouse and mousemat,how small are they ? :shock:

Andrew

Those are little beauties indeed. The one with the white powder inside looks like it might be pipestone. If it is, you can remove that powder with a wet paper towel .

The captive ring is a nice touch as well.

Well done.

Tom

hi thank you for your comments they are about 25mm
I do not know what wood as it was laying in the shop
the one by the mouse and mousemat is corian

COngratulation!
It is far more difficult to turn so little object than big ones.
Super production!
In addition I guess you are quickly done with the swiping off the floor from your shavings :lol:

Hi I have been playing on my lathe again. The first turning I have done since october 06
100_1249-1.jpg

100_1251.jpg

comments and criticism however harsh will be greatly appreciated

One criticism. Could you please not make me feel stupid. I was looking around for some wood to turn and thought I had none worth working on. Now I'm going to have to go to the kindling box and dig all that scrap out again! :x

They are really beautiful and look much more difficult to do than bigger stuff. I have access to dental picks and things, I wonder if they can be adapted to tiny turning tools, not sure what the steel is like, anyone know?

Pete

Hi Ratwood

Nice looking pieces.8)

You have been talking to oldsoke too much, Graham makes loverly things from wood I would use to light the wood burner with. :oops:

HI pete
I use standard turning tools and a drill, to drill the center of the goblet
wood cost money :lol: :lol:

Hi Ratwood... good to see you're back at the lathe... don't know where you are in Northants but if you fancy calling in anytime... just small talk :wink:

Dave, ....woodburner..... !!

Pete, you can make a tidy little hook shaped tool, for turning captive rings on miniatures, from some styles of dental pick... in mini turning the quality of the steel is not quite so important as with the big stuff (that's anythinh over 20mm :lol: )

Chris, I remember the days when Peterborough was in Northants!!!

pm me if you're interested...

oldsoke":17u60na2 said:
Pete, you can make a tidy little hook shaped tool, for turning captive rings on miniatures, from some styles of dental pick... in mini turning the quality of the steel is not quite so important as with the big stuff (that's anythinh over 20mm :lol: )

I presume you put a decent handle on them first, the small diameter of the pick would be pretty difficult to grasp. One of the ones I've got is double ended as well, could be dangerous if it digs!!! See image below.
picks.jpg

The yellow thing is a biro not a pick, for size comparison :lol:
Pete

The double ended types are great... cut though the middle = bogof :lol:

The bottom (sorry, I know you have problems with them :wink: ) one would make a captive ring tool or a mini skew... suitably handled (next time you see Ashley Iles stand at a show, ask for their reject handles... the ones they use for carver's tools) ...4 for a £ ...a year or so ago.

oldsoke":1p7blldv said:
next time you see Ashley Iles stand at a show, ask for their reject handles... the ones they use for carver's tools) ...4 for a £ ...a tear or so ago.
Gott in himmel! You're turners, you have lathes - you can make them. ](*,) Ack, here I am trying to convince the latheless that doesn't mean they can't make handles and here are the lathed buying them. I'm going in a corner and sobbing now... :cry:

Cheers, Alf

I'll second Alf's comment there.
Also, I use 3 inch masonry nails ground down to small skews and ring tools - just hammer the nail into your freshly turned handle, cut off the head and grind a profile - works a treat, and pretty cheap.

Ach du liebe chrysake!

The brass ferrules cost almost as much as a reject handle... OK, they're not as pretty as custom turned handles but they still work :wink:
(you can come out of the corner now alf :lol: )

Nick you're quite right about the masonry nails but... silver steel rod is only a few pence more and offers a variety of diameters... and possibilities. Cromwell Tools is about the cheapest place in Pbro...

Brass ferrules? What's wrong with scrap copper pipe? Need 22mm though.

I must pop into Cromwell sometime. Sounds a useful place. Do they do small quantities?

Latest posts

Back