Some new stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I made quite a lot of stuff lately but have been remiss at the photography, however, it became necessary to get down to it, so here are a few items.

GLB-4.png

Flame-3.png

Rhod-4.png

SMB-1.png

LP-3.png

ASH-Fruit-2.png

I'll add some details later, got to go out for and hour.

Wow Kim, you are certainly keeping up the standards on the creative and quality fronts.

Can almost forgive the lack of images if that's what it takes to keep the production at those levels.

Appreciate you finally putting them up for show though, there's enough process control questions relating to at least a couple of them popping up in my mind already and I'm certain others will be intrigued by how you achieved some of them.

Another batch of some incredible work Kim from the simplest form to the most decorative piece. I am still having problems with my blending of colours but one day i will achieve work like this (well I live in hope)

Those look magnificent! The colours make each one look really classy/unique.

Coley

Thanks for the comments all. :)

The first bowl is a very dark multicolour on the outside with a blue interior and a 9ct gold leaf rim, made from Ash.

The small vase is Sycamore.

The pink Bowl is meant to look like Rhodochrosite with veins of copper running through it, I used Alder as the timber with White and Red chestnut spirit stains blended for the colour, I am pleased with it mainly because it actually ended up as I had originally imagined it. An actual planned piece!

Next bowl is dark blue and green with Chestnuts gilt cream over it which gives it a very metallic look, but it doesn't show too well in the photo, the interior is done with Schlag Metal leaf and a red rim.

SMB-2.png

This is Ash as well.

The pot is the rest of a spalted beech log I had that was made into a very similar pot last year and the final two are pretty straightforward Ash fruit bowls.

If anyone is planning on going to the National Botanical Gardens of Wales festival of wood, 20-21st of August, I will be there with this stuff, do stop by and say hello! :)

Thanks phil. The second one is done by colouring the feathering (that's the light coloured streak in the woodgrain) yellow first, then overlaying that with orange, then green in parts to get the bronze colour then over the feather again with yellow to highlight it. Then sealed and lacquered, the inside is coloured and lacquered to match, the finish is high gloss, like glass. That's a rough description anyway.

Feathering is caused by stress on the growing timber.

These are fantastic - honestly, i hope I live for a long time because there are so many things I have to try!

I love the depth of the colour and shine on the small vase - I love the others too, but the vase jumps out at me because of the finish.

Outstanding.

I'll look at most things and have some idea how it might be made. Looking at these and my mind is baffled !!! At first glance picture number 3 almost looks like polished marble/granite- how the heck is that even possible :) I'm gonna save all those pictures on my phone if you don't mind to give me enthusiasm to make time to learn on the lathe. I'll add some of Chas's and Stiggy's pics as I also find their work fascinating.
More please ;)

Coley

Back