Soft Boiled Eggs and how to

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to soft boil an egg and usually all was well, however that no longer the case I get some runny yoke but lots of nasty runny white stuff the timing and starting water temperature and size of egg seems nowadays to be ever more critical
Whatever method I use, and the web is full of ways to get a perfect result none seem to work - ok tell me how it works for you :)

Crack egg into acidulated cold water. Some pro chefs do 20% acid but I use much less. Leave for 10 mins. This sets the white but does not leave vinegary taste.
Take out with slotted spoon and slide into gently simmering water. NOT vigorously boiling. Do not swirl. No acid in there.
Cook until white set.
If you wish to reserve to serve later, remove and plunge into iced water.
This is a pro method and a faff but guarantees perfect results. Try to use fresh eggs.

this woodworking forum has taken a strange diversion.

I get the water at a rapid boil, pierce the top of the egg, put egg in water, 3 minutes, done.

I more often don't actually boil them, but poach them (at least that's what it always got called in my family, I think this is actually coddling), I grease a cold ramikin with butter, egg in, then sit in a shallow pan of water with the lid on for about 3 minutes again. The advantage is that you can see how well the eggs are cooked, personal taste but I know that when the whites are hard (but before the yolk is) it is done perfectly

^ Adrian, that’s poached, but I think the OP was looking for boiled? Wouldn’t mind trying that, though.

If you establish a standard starting temperature, by keeping the eggs in the fridge (you’re meant to, anyway), that removes some of the variation. I find about 4 mins of gentle simmer works for soft boiled.

^ Adrian, that’s poached, but I think the OP was looking for boiled? Wouldn’t mind trying that, though.

If you establish a standard starting temperature, by keeping the eggs in the fridge (you’re meant to, anyway), that removes some of the variation. I find about 4 mins of gentle simmer works for soft boiled.
To refrigerate or not, another minefield akin to sharpening. We never kept eggs in the fridge 'when I were a lad' perhaps that why the methods that used to work no longer do. My eggs are always a disaster but Mrs Fitzroy nails them every time, so I leave them to her, I make a better fried egg though so that is my domain.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/should-you-refrigerate-eggs#europe
Fitz.

Put the eggs in a small pan of cold water and bring to the boil. When the water reaches boiling point (the first large bubble breaks the surface) reduce the heat and boil gently for 3 minutes. Perfect soft boiled eggs every time. My Mum taught me this method 65 years ago. It's the gentle introduction of heat that's the key thing.

Don't use egg straight from fridge, it's too cold, allow it to come to room temperature first.

I get the water at a rapid boil, pierce the top of the egg, put egg in water, 3 minutes, done.

I more often don't actually boil them, but poach them (at least that's what it always got called in my family, I think this is actually coddling), I grease a cold ramikin with butter, egg in, then sit in a shallow pan of water with the lid on for about 3 minutes again. The advantage is that you can see how well the eggs are cooked, personal taste but I know that when the whites are hard (but before the yolk is) it is done perfectly
Boil water, crack egg/s in, fill kettle and boil, stick bread in toaster, get butter and milk out of fridge, find a plate, butter toast and eggs are ready to be dredged out of pot and looking yummy. Simples.

Apologies. didn't read it properly. I was thinking poached when OP said soft boiled, as I always do poached eggs runny. I use eggs quite fast and don't keep them in the fridge. Ou hot tap produces boiling water and for soft "hard" boiled they go into a pan of boiling water for 5 mins straight from the egg basket, assuming a medium sized hens egg. I usually do a few at a time and if the first one is too runny, the rest get another minute or so.

I used to be able to soft boil an egg and usually all was well, however that no longer the case I get some runny yoke but lots of nasty runny white stuff the timing and starting water temperature and size of egg seems nowadays to be ever more critical
Whatever method I use, and the web is full of ways to get a perfect result none seem to work - ok tell me how it works for you :)
Boil a kettle, put egg in, and boil for three minutes. Meanwhile make toast, lots of real butter and marmite. Cut into soldiers. Take egg out of pan, put egg in cup, hit top with tea spoon, cut top off, add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Dip marmite soldiers in to yolk, eat......yum yum. Time for breakfast.

Why do you sit in a shallow pan of water? 🤣

I never keep eggs in the fridge.

Boil a kettle, put egg in, and boil for three minutes. Meanwhile make toast, lots of real butter and marmite. Cut into soldiers. Take egg out of pan, put egg in cup, hit top with tea spoon, cut top off, add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Dip marmite soldiers in to yolk, eat......yum yum. Time for breakfast.
Marmite? - YYYUK! YYYUK!:(

My problem is not with boiling eggs, but with frying them. About 30% of the time the yolks break on cracking.

Hey, this has turned into a "Yolk Thread" 🤣

well, except you're in the part of the forum that's supposed to be strange diversions, or at least not woodworking related topics:

>>For non-woodworking related topics<<

With you until you got to the Marmite, more yuk yuk than yum yum :(
Mind you Marmite discussion might make sharpening look positively tame 😂

Back