Small Oak Table Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
No pre design, just a very small oak table to sit a portable TV on. One criteria is it must be no higher than 6" :lol: and I must be able to make it from the wood in the pic
2953668243_3e1487dc0e.jpg

Just bog standard table construction, breadboard ends, four rails, four legs. But it may look almighty odd being short in the leg, a bit like Ronnie Corbet.

:lol:

PS.. the walnut hall table is on hold until I've made this table.

The top with breadboard ends is finished
2958429244_e96b42dc52.jpg

Base assembled and glued, I would have liked to add a very small taper to the inside of the legs but the customer gets what the customer wants.
2958438666_21c5f81c48.jpg

Waka":3sq9kj5v said:
LN

Looks good, have you used M&T on the frame?

Yes, tiny though 1/4" x 3/4" and only 3/4" long and I still had to mitre the ends so they didn't meet in the legs. I did think about adding a lower rail, but the very low height made it look silly. as it is it's 8 1/2" high that's 2 1/2" higher than it should be. :lol:

looking good. I'd love to do a little project like this, but we just don't need any small tables :roll: :wink:

Finished

Two coats of shellac one coat of clear Black Bison paste wax.
2961075503_4e3286de9d.jpg

2961084481_be4f691002.jpg

Dunno why the bottom pic is so pale, flash pic I suppose. The top pic is pretty true to the real colours. :lol:

Very nice, you can't beat a good bit of oak, I say!!

I've built one Oak bench for the garden and am going to build an identical one plus matching table. I'll try and get round to taking pics and putting it on here when I do (very naughty - I always forget to take pics along the way).

motownmartin":c4hp34gb said:
Another fine job LN, how have you done the breadboard ends, I can see some dowels, do they go through 2 small tenons?

It's one long floating tenon each end, I cut the mortises using my router table and a slotting cutter, doing it this way meant they had to line up but the grain of the tenon is running across the top and meant the dowels that allow movement are in the center panel of the top not the breadboard ends and of course its only glued near the center. The extra dowels in the breadboard end are only for show.

Very smart m'lud. Nice clean simple lines, and with those short legs I think the customer was right with the design. I hope you made a pound or two from this!

I'm guessing this is European or English oak, rather than American white oak?

Mike

Mike Garnham":3fjyleyu said:
I hope you made a pound or two from this!

I'm guessing this is European or English oak, rather than American white oak?

Mike
Done it for free, :oops: she did supply the oak though and the customer often looks after our two dogs :lol: It's very much English oak grown cut up and air dried locally. It's my little secret Aladdins cave full of great slabs of oak, elm, chestnut, ash, poplar, in fact all species of home grown timber, next time I'm there I'll take a few pics of his store, it's a place to die for.

Back