Sliding Squares - What to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm thinking about buying a 4" or 6" adjustable tri-square or possible a 6" combination square, mainly for marking out tenon shoulders, etc, as well as for use as a depth gauge.

OK I have proper (engineering) squares for normal use and my Veritas marking gauge can act as a depth gauge.

I once had a cheap combi square but it was horrid, and eventually it was binned. I have seen Alf's review of the tri-square marketed by Axminster and I recall that she geve it a mixed verdict. I am reluctant to buy one of the Far Eastern clones, which leaves Starrett or M&W. CHT sell Starrett tri-squares and I have seen M&W combi squares elsewhere (at a price!).

So if I go for a tri-square, should it be 4" or 6"? Or is buying a 6" combi the logical choice?

Thanks in advance

Les

Les - having seen the Starrett ones at West Dean, I'd be inclined to go for one of those. My feeling is that they're far more likely to be accurate than one of the cheaper variants (as offered by Axminster) Steve M was recently posing a similar question on a recent thread so it might be worth seeing what he eventually ended up with - Rob

Hi Les,

Rob is right. I have a 6" Starrett combination square. It was expensive, but is very, very good. Totally accurate, obviously, and lovely to use as well.

I very much doubt you'd regret getting one.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Ron and Marcus

Many thanks for your advice and for pointing me towards Steve M's recent thread on the same subject (DUH! - never spotted it!).

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I've finally got round to ordering the 6" Starrett combination square from CHT. Ouch! - but quality is always worth it in the long term, isn't it?

Les

Routermonster":4rp4g0pv said:
Hi Ron and Marcus

Many thanks for your advice and for pointing me towards Steve M's recent thread on the same subject (DUH! - never spotted it!).

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I've finally got round to ordering the 6" Starrett combination square from CHT. Ouch! - but quality is always worth it in the long term, isn't it?

Les
Hi Les - I think you spent wisely...have you got a decent marking knife to use with it? :lol: :lol: - Rob

Hi Rob

I've been away for the past couple of days. Got back late tonight, and guess what - a small package awaited my pleasure. Inside was a red box with a square and test certificate. The square is beautifully-made, with a nice smooth sliding action and positive locking. Very gloat-worthy!

Looking forward to using it.

Did I hear you mention a nice marking knife? Hmmm ... Well, I do have this 'Blokeblade' with an African Blackwood handle .... :D :D

All the best

Les

Latest posts

Back