Skirting profile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Kelly

Reaction score
I’m doing a bit of extension work and a problem has arisen with skirting board. The profile of the twenty-odd year old skirting doesn’t match (actually it doesn’t even closely resemble) modern profiles I can get.

I’ve now scavenged all the odd bits around the house (e.g. inside cupboards) for other patch-ups. Is there anyone who will prep up a few metres of skirting to match the existing profile (preferably in North Yorks).

Please note: I CANNOT in any way, shape or form justify buying a ½” router, router table, spindle moulder, tooling or a grand’s worth of hand planes, so please, no suggestions about along those lines please!

Hi Mitch

This post explains what needs to be done.

Where are you based? Perhaps a member would be kind enough to do it for you.

<edit>Just saw that you mentioned North Yorkshire.

Cheers,
Neil

I had a similar situation and went along to my local Travis Perkins to see what they had as they do offer some of the more tradional profiles. The guy offered to get some made up for me as he thought it may sell well. He had 300m made up I've used a fair bit and he's just ordered another batch as loads of people wanted it. The downside it was a 6" board with a 3" moundling (used for architrave), I just had to glue them up to give me the 9" board for the skirting.

Maybe not the best pic, but this may give you an idea of what it looks like
DSCF0721.jpg

What about just removing the old skirting and replacing with a modern shape you like? Or is that too painful in terms of possible re-plastering etc..

If you post a photo of the profile that would be helpful. It may be very simple to make it up using a square edge plank and then add bought mouldings on top.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry I can't do a photo - I'm not a Luddite, I'm just too cheap to buy a digital camera!

It's roughly a 6-7cm flat, then a concave quarter-circle, radius roughly 20-25mm, followed by a convex semicircle, radius about 20mm, then a 10mm square to top it off. It's similar to (at first glance), many existing patterns, but differs significantly in detail - certainly you couldn't mitre or scribe it to any existing material. There's no way I can cut it myself - I don't even want to think about cutters that size in my diddy (hand held) router, and there's no tool budget on this job (The Project Manager (praise her name!) has told me so, so that won't change :roll: ), so a five hundered odd quid Clifton moulding plane is RIGHT out...

As for replacing - I'd need to do the whole house, which I'd rather avoid...

I'll try Boddy's - I'd think of getting several metres, in order to have enough for future fixups / changes / bodges I may be called upon to do.

Cheers all,

Mitch

Try Ray Fisher at Ilkley timber for unique and matched profiles, I know he has done lots for property renovations in Ilkley Otley and surrounding area

Latest posts

Back