Show me your chessboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to make a chessboard soon and would be grateful for any pictures or design ideas from you all. I know someone posted one recently, but can't remember who.

I am planning on a bandsawn veneer top with a very slim cabinet underneath with a pair of drawers for the chessmen.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers, Ed

Ed, check out the Wood Whisperer's video on his mistakes. It's No. 76 "Humble Pie". It shows the problems he had with movement on his chess board. Hopefully it will be helpful.

Shultzy":1cebcwk1 said:
Ed, check out the Wood Whisperer's video on his mistakes. It's No. 76 "Humble Pie". It shows the problems he had with movement on his chess board. Hopefully it will be helpful.

Thanks Schultzy, I just watched that video and enjoyed it - I quite like the guys style of presenting.

His main issue appears to have been using a solid wood top and I can see why that caused him the issue it did - I'll be going for veneer.

Cheers, Ed

I made one some time ago - this is how it came out:

ChessComp2.jpg

I wrote about it here.

When I make my next board, I shall use proper veneer tape in its construction :oops:.

Gill

Gill":5vlpviw6 said:
I made one some time ago - this is how it came out:

ChessComp2.jpg

I wrote about it here.

When I make my next board, I shall use proper veneer tape in its construction :oops:.

Gill

If it's not a rude question, what do you mean by "veneer tape"?
BTW,I thinkyour board is smashing.
Rich.

Okay then thanks for the information. Nice work there. I've made chess boards in the past by just gluing up the timber in strips and then cutting up and re-glueing to form the squares.

Thanks, Rich :) .

If you look at the thread I mentioned, you should be able to see that when I cut strips of veneer and and alternated the colours to complete the chequered pattern, I held them butted against each other using blue 'low-tack' masking tape because I did not have any proper veneer tape to hand. That was a mistake because when the board was glued up, the pressure applied by the cramps increased the adhesive qualities of the tape, making it difficult to remove. Proper veneer tape does not become more sticky under pressure, and I should have used that. I'm wondering if the tape that picture framers use to hold backing in place might be a good alternative to veneer tape - it is much more widely available and seems very similar.

Gill

Gill":2ni2pvim said:
Thanks, Rich :) .

If you look at the thread I mentioned, you should be able to see that when I cut strips of veneer and and alternated the colours to complete the chequered pattern, I held them butted against each other using blue 'low-tack' masking tape because I did not have any proper veneer tape to hand. That was a mistake because when the board was glued up, the pressure applied by the cramps increased the adhesive qualities of the tape, making it difficult to remove. Proper veneer tape does not become more sticky under pressure, and I should have used that. I'm wondering if the tape that picture framers use to hold backing in place might be a good alternative to veneer tape - it is much more widely available and seems very similar.

Gill

NOW I understand, thanks for the reply Gill, most helpful. :)

Rich.

The veneer tape we use at college is perforated white paper tape that needs to be moistened to stick. After the veneers have been glued down the tape is moistened again and can be peeled away.

I do have to tell new students to use a damp cloth to moisten the tape and to not lick it, like a envelope, as they don't know where it's been.

Night Train":2uxnb3qk said:
The veneer tape we use at college is perforated white paper tape that needs to be moistened to stick. After the veneers have been glued down the tape is moistened again and can be peeled away.

I do have to tell new students to use a damp cloth to moisten the tape and to not lick it, like a envelope, as they don't know where it's been.

The easist way is to use a damp kitchen sponge and just run the tape over the surface, holding it down between finger and thumb onto the sponge and pulling it through with the other hand. Gets very messy if you have to keep licking it all the time :sick: - Rob

woodbloke":36qjvy2i said:
The easist way is to use a damp kitchen sponge and just run the tape over the surface, holding it down between finger and thumb onto the sponge and pulling it through with the other hand. Gets very messy if you have to keep licking it all the time :sick: - Rob
Yeah, but we don't have any sponge in the cabinet workshop, only bits of clean rag.

I wonder where one can get those stamp dampening things that post office staff used to use when they would stamp the letter for the customer? That would be good to have at college for the veneer tape.

Hi Ed,
Here is a picture of one I made many years ago. The board and pieces were a wedding present and are of some sort of marble, so not much use to you.
I made the box to go round the board, which may give you some ideas - if only how not to do it (hammer)

DSCN0062.jpg

Malc :D

Gill":neyc4x70 said:
I cut strips of veneer and and alternated the colours to complete the chequered pattern, I held them butted against each other using blue 'low-tack' masking tape because I did not have any proper veneer tape to hand. That was a mistake because when the board was glued up, the pressure applied by the cramps increased the adhesive qualities of the tape, making it difficult to remove. Gill

Gill, I wonder if you did your veneering job before this wee article of mine was available, or if the article was available, had you had chance to read it? It might have saved you a bit of aggravation with exactly the problem you described. http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Ar ... edges.html

Incidentally, brown paper tape with water activated gum, available from most stationery suppliers, works well as a substitute for 'genuine' hole punched veneer tape. Slainte.

Hi Ed, I made this one about a year ago, all the squares are glued to a ply wood base.

I made strips, glued the edges then crosscut, flipped them around so that I had alternating squares.

wood070.jpg

Strangely enough, Richard, when I made marquetry many years ago, I used standard masking tape instead of veneer tape quite successfully. Perhaps the adhesive was made to a different formula in those days, but I didn't give the matter a second thought when I came to use the same technique for my chess board all those years later. The tape that picture framers use is water based and I have a big roll of it, so next time I'll try that instead.

I love your veneer press - it's bigger than my workshop :lol: .

Gill

Gill":1mhhakwf said:
I love your veneer press - it's bigger than my workshop. Gill

It can get a bit cramped in that space though, ha, ha. Slainte.

Back