Should home made lathe bench be fixed to walls as well

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndbrown

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to turning (and this forum) and have added a secondhand lathe (Record Coronet No 3) to my list of equipment. I plan to mainly make legs/spindles for my cabinetmaking. I will be locating this in my recently built shed where I have already built a bench using 4 x 2 and 18mm plywood. The bench is secured to the floor and to the walls, which are constructed using 4 x 2 and also lined with 18mm ply, in other words it is all rock solid. Problem is, I have just read an article where it say that on no account should the stand/bench be fixed to a wall? I assume this is for minimising vibration? If necessary, I will rip it all out and re-build a sturdy freestanding floor stand. Before I do this, I hoped that all the experienced turners out there would give me some advice on this. I had a look on the forum before posting this but could not find anything specific on this. Thanks

Hi ndbrown,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I am not a turner so have no idea about the fixing of lathe benchs. but there a number of very good turners here who will no doubt give a wide range of different answers to your question. :roll:

The more solid you can make the lathe mounting the better, so if fixing it to the wall and the floor achieves this so be it.

Although with spindle turning lathe vibration should not be a problem because of out of balance, neither should external vibrations transmitted by the structure be of any significance to your finish.

The lathe WILL shake about if not mounted rigidly if you ever try to turn a bowl or similar with out of balance wood.

Welcome to the forum, forgot in the rush to stop you ripping out your bench.:lol:

Hello and welcome :D

Your set-up sounds very similar to mine - bench made out of 4"x2" framework,covered in 18mm ply(6'long,2' deep,3' high).My bench was built-in,so was a good tight fit against the walls anyway;have since fastened 4"x2" to the walls between the framework,and have wedges to go in the small gaps between one and the other - this gives slight adjustment to keep it vertical/plumb,and allows for expansion and contraction of the timber.

Andrew

Welcome aboard ND
One of the best cures for vibration is to increase the mass... fixing to a brick wall helps :wink:

Try it and see with your current bench, may well be fine.

As Chas says vibration is a much bigger issue with out of balance bowl blanks, but smaller diameter spindles shouldn't cause much of a problem.

Cheers, Paul. :D

I would have thought that fixing the bench to the wall as well as the floor was a good thing, not bad, as it will make the bench a lot more rigid.

The only possible downside that I can see is that if your are turning something that is a bit out of balance, then the vibration will be transmitted through the bench and into the wall, which, depending on the frequency, may act as a sounding board.

If as you say, you are mostly going to be turning spindle work, then this shouldn't be an issue. If you do find yourself turning a big out of balance bowl blank, then you may need to wear ear muffs!

Regards

Gary

If you're doing mostly spindle work then I don't think it's necessary - though it won't hurt.

If you're going to make a habit of making logs into bowls/off centre stuff and freestyle lumps of wood with bowls in their centres I think it would be a very good idea - I've finally got round today to 'nailing' down my Wadkin because it kept walking across the floor!

Chris.

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to leave the bench the way it is and give it a try. All I need to do now is buy some turning tool, safety gear and read a few books before I have a go at turning. Great forums here, full of good advice and a lot of knowledge. Glad I joined.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
ND

Back