Seasonal hand tool question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Nothing to do with the snow, well maybe a tiny bit:

My quandry is "crosscut or rip?" mainly: there's no discernable grain, but there is texture, definitely.

Here's the thing: as connoisseurs of fine bakery will know, a typical Christmas Cake only improves with age. Ours, this last December, originated around August and has been regularly fed all kinds of entertaining things, including rum and cherry brandy (intravenously, or at least with the aid of a hypodermic). By around mid-October, you could hear it humming "songs from the shows" in its tin (well, crate really), and by late November you needed protective gloves and a whip, and that was before the icing.

Which brings me to the icing... It always seems such a shame to smother it (and so young!), but I suppose that's tradition really. After all we do eat duckling, and lamb, too, but Stilton gets a proper run, at least in this household ("if you can't smell it down in the village, it's not ripe enough",etc.). Anyway, by the month after Christmas the icing isn't bad, but it is, er, robust. Nobody's spotted the impromptu repair I did to the lounge marble fireplace three years ago, but that was an exceptional year (and I had a new GOP tool to play with at the time).

Normally, and that means this year, by mid/late January, it's getting a bit too tough for normal kitchen technology. I noted this when I dropped the bread knife this afternoon, because my wrist had started to swell up, and the serrations had almost worn off.

So if not the bread knife, nor the electric carving knife (never mind the safety aspects, that's way too risky - it's not MY knife, if you see what I mean), what is the best tool for the job?

I'm thinking tenon saw or (rip) Dovetail saw, but I'm in need of expert advice

E.

Hammer and chisel is what I use.

I take off the icing then cut the bit I want and eat the cake but leave the icing, I havent got many teeth left and I want to keep them.

john

Eric The Viking":3bbzzch3 said:
So if not the bread knife, nor the electric carving knife (never mind the safety aspects, that's way too risky - it's not MY knife, if you see what I mean), what is the best tool for the job?

There's only one answer - Mitre saw

Just clamp it down, set the angle to approximate size of slice you want, and away you go, safe, quick, and hygenic (assuming you wipe the blade before you start :lol:)

I'm really torn between Steve's log splitter and the mitre saw. The trouble is we had guests round last night, and there is a ravenous, nocturnal, twentysomething that lives in a fetid cave above the lounge (the DC tells me I'm related to him in some way). He found it hidden under its tin, too. The cake, I mean, not the log splitter. Like bears, it seems he's now developed a taste for human food.

So my problem is now a lot smaller :-(

:idea: I think the rest probably needs to be in protective custody <brightens>.

The cake, I mean, not the log splitter.

E.

Eric The Viking":39cq52yb said:
Which brings me to the icing... .... Anyway, by the month after Christmas the icing isn't bad, but it is, er, robust.

At the risk of being helpful, I will point out that there are many kinds of icing, not all of which set quite as hard as (I'm guessing) the Royal Icing you're using.

BugBear

Can't you soften the icing by applying a suitable solvent?

If you have any brandy left, I think it might just work...

Feather and wedge, as used by masons since time out of mind.

1) Drill line of holes along required split-line (new masonry drill, natch).

2) Insert feathers (two iron or steel rods almost semicircular in cross-section).

3) Insert steel wedge between feathers.

4) Assault free end of wedge with hammer. Size of hammer dependent on resistance of workpiece.

5) Attend A&E for treatment to shrapnel wounds.

6) Make note to change icing recipe.

Have got chainsaw you can borrow
The cost of fuel from Avon to St Annes (Lancashire-oop north) will be vastly cheaper than the dentist.

M

Latest posts

Back