• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale |Scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
l have had this saw for about 7 years and it as never been a problem, l am selling it due to bad health looking for about £275 it is heavy l will not be able to give you a hand sorry
20240202_110643.jpg

Attachments

• 20240202_110621.jpg
    20240202_110621.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_110633.jpg
    20240202_110633.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I don't really know if I should post the following here - no doubt the Mods will soon take me to task if I'm doing something I shouldn't :dunno:

I am not in the market for a scroll saw (on the contrary, I may well be selling mine soon - an Ex 21) so I have NO axe to grind here, and have NO connection whatsoever with cowboy 682.

But if anyone is thinking of buying this saw I'd say from my own fairly thorough experience with exactly this "Excalibur brand" saw, it's not only very well priced but is also an excellent tool. With the "right" blade type it can do an awful lot more than what would be considered as "normal scroll saw stuff".

There is a somewhat chequered history on these saws, and in particular the Axminster "clones" of these tilting head machines have come in for a lot of flack - apparently mostly well justified.

But the seller says this saw is 7 years old (which is about just before the "bean counters" got at the original machines, and in the process "ruined" SOME of them) and for anyone who wants to check the full - VERY confusing - story, there's a post (by me) which covers the whole somewhat sad tale.

See this post:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/excalibur-scroll-saws.135732/

In short, if I was in the market then I would definitely bite this bloke's hand off!

Hope that helps any interested prospective buyer.

Last edited:
I don't really know if I should post the following here - no doubt the Mods will soon take me to task if I'm doing something I shouldn't :dunno:

I am not in the market for a scroll saw (on the contrary, I may well be selling mine soon - an Ex 21) so I have NO axe to grind here, and have NO connection whatsoever with cowboy 682.

But if anyone is thinking of buying this saw I'd say from my own fairly thorough experience with exactly this "Excalibur brand" saw, it's not only very well priced but is also an excellent tool. With the "right" blade type it can do an awful lot more than what would be considered as "normal scroll saw stuff".

There is a somewhat chequered history on these saws, and in particular the Axminster "clones" of these tilting head machines have come in for a lot of flack - apparently mostly well justified.

But the seller says this saw is 7 years old (which is about just before the "bean counters" got at the original machines, and in the process "ruined" SOME of them) and for anyone who wants to check the full - VERY confusing - story, there's a post (by me) which covers the whole somewhat sad tale.

See this post:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/excalibur-scroll-saws.135732/

In short, if I was in the market then I would definitely bite this bloke's hand off!

Hope that helps any interested prospective buyer.
Thank you very much for that l have made some fantastic things with this machine and it as never let me down, the only reason l am letting it go is because of ill health, when l got it, it was from a school so don't know how long they had it before

Thank you very much for that l have made some fantastic things with this machine and it as never let me down, the only reason l am letting it go is because of ill health, when l got it, it was from a school so don't know how long they had it before

Well good luck with the sale anyway mate - AND with your health (the reason I'm packing up my whole shop and moving to a flat is also health). It's dung isn't it :(

Is there any chance it can be packed up and couriered (at my cost)? Would definitely be interested if it can.

I'd echo AES's comments, price asked is nothing, you could get double. Your issues with moving the unit are noted but if you can arrange palletised delivery (even at perhaps £60-80) that'll expand the market considerably, people are generally not willing to travel hundreds of miles for things like this.

And yes, it appears to be one of the "good" ones, I've never had one myself but from what I've heard it seems they went downhill when the throat went from Imperial to metric measurements.

Curious though, I have vague recollections of putting in a speculative bid for one on eBay three or four months back, that was in Huddersfield too. Is this the same one? If that fell through yes you're likely to have fewer hassle here but the price will be lower.

And no, I'm not interested. Very happy with my Diamond, crossing the Pennines is a ball ache, and I have nowhere to put it anyway. ISTR I put in £100 or £150 on that one on eBay just in case it ended up going for a song.

:URGENT: @cowboy 6872: Hope this is not too late, and NOT "teaching granny to suck eggs"!

Just seen that you/someone is palletising your saw. I also noticed that you bought the machine from a college, so you MAY not have the Manual?

So when lifting the saw make sure that nobody does the "obvious" thing and tries to lift the machine with one (or worse, both) hands just gripping on to the the top arm. This will almost certainly damage the eccentric drive and/or the internal linkages. Instead proceed as follows:

1. De-tension the blade (or remove it altogether);
2. Use one hand to grip the MOTOR and the other hand to grip the machine under the front lip of the cutting table;
3. Bolt the machine through its feet (4 x 8 or 10 mm, I forget) to 4 suitable points on the pallet. If no suitable points, bolt the machine to a piece of scrap half inch ply or MDF, then bolt/screw that to the pallet. (That's how my new machine came - bolted to thick ply sheet all inside a thick cardboard box).

My machine (Ex 21) weighs approx 30 Kgs. The extra 9 inches of throat on your machine makes a BIG difference - as per my Manual, the Ex 30 weighs 44 Kgs.

HTH/not too late!

The message from AES relates to a concern I had - especially if you are not able to move the scroll saw yourself Cowboy. As far as I could see all the courier companies require the item to be packaged by the sender (I did find one that would supply the pallet and "shrinkwrap"). The label on the machine gives the weight as 52kg - so certainly no light weight.

Just for info Cowboy (in case you don't have the Manual): As said above, weight is shown as 97 lbs (44 Kgs). Sizes: L = 43.25 inches (1100 mm) X W = 15.50 inches (394 mm) X H = 15.25 inches (387 mm).

As said, the above Ex 30 dims come from my own Ex 21 Manual, NOT the Axi Ex 30 Manual (but I GUESS the same/very close).

HTH

I paid the equivalent of £360 for my much older Canadian made 30" Excalibur and drove 3 hours each way to get it. Yours is a bargain and if it were local to me I would buy it even though means I would have two.

Pete

Back