Scarf saw-ted (gloat)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! The postman delivered 128 new teeth from MikeW this morning:
ScarfSaw4.jpg

16" x 4 1/2" .028" blade
ScarfSaw3.jpg

9ppi rip cut with a little fleam
ScarfSaw2.jpg

1/4" slotted brass back, maple handle.
ScarfSaw1.jpg

For cutting my instrument neck scarfs. Dashed to the workbench still beslippered as soon as the postman turned away. Fab! Cuts a charm - clean up ready for gluing is going to be a doddle!

Thank you Mike!

Steve

:D Have spent all day at the bench.

Went through a whole scrap khaya neck blank I had, zipping off 12° slices; used my Livingston 'Rolf Harris' rip, slick and #7 to prep a couple walnut blanks to cut 'proper' scarfs for those (they'll need revisiting since I was too impatient to wait 3 months, so I left them generous) and then did a couple of rested and already earmarked maple necks.

Fun fun fun! It has quite a heft to it - waving it around at first felt like it might be ungainly, but once it tasted wood the weight just drove it through so smoothly, and the fit of the handle and blade height made gauging the vertical easy too.

Um, to summarise I wouldn't let it go for all the chi in Tina.

You drive a hard bargain, my last and final offer:

A bag of homegrown beans (their magic, honest gov!) a pickled egg... and, and a woven basket of the finest tibetan goat hair?

:lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, that is a lovely saw - and an area of my tooling I need to address at some stage..

:p Hey! safety first - mustn't work at my bench barefoot (though not convinced even my steelcapped boots are slick resistant - always always always pick it up by the blade.)

So the bare minimum must be slippers and Gepetto apron (and rubber gloves for coco).

But at least there's nothing kinky about my saws :)

Back