Sanding Discs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two disc sanders - one has 6 inch discs and the other 12 inch discs (or perhaps I should write 150 mm and 305 mm - I forget that young people are brought up with metric measurements)

I'm thinking of converting one or both to velcro attached sanding discs and wondered about the benefits and disadvantages of doing that.

If I did so, it would be very easy to change to a different grit but the discs will be more expensive.

And I've NOT found a source of 300 mm diameter self-adhesive hook velcro discs 9or the sanding discs with loop velcro backing to stick onto the velcro backing.

Has anybody used both systems and is able to share their experiences

With best wishes and thanks.

MC Black

I converted my 6'' to velcro, best move I ever made. There have been concerns about the 'flatness' of the disc with a velcro fitting, given the relative sponginess of the velcro & fluffy disc backing.

All depends what you're using it for, I suppose. It works perfectly for what I use it for, sanding to the line on scroll-sawn parts.

Pros - you can change the disc easily, even if you haven't worn it out... all without leaving sticky residue to deal with.
Cons - none, for me personally.

300mm self-adhesive backer - http://www.anvil-trading.com/products/p ... Qty-1.html

300mm velcro backed discs - http://www.abtec4abrasives.com/300mm305 ... 1682-p.asp

There are plenty online, these are just 2 examples.

I use velcron on my 6" sanders, works great, my 12" i like the PSA discs because I like that to be really flat with no give to it. Pain to change them though.

I converted my disc sander to velcro a couple of years ago.The parts were all on ebay and weren't too expensive.I used to detest the time wasted cleaning glue residue off the metal disc and now I don't have to do it.

Pre and cons? Exactly as outlined above. Fast and clean abrasive changes with velcro, higher precision with adhesive backed. So depends what you're using your sander for but also how the sander is made. Some sanders have a table that easily and conveniently moves away from the disc, that makes disc changing much easier. Other sanders have tables that (very sensibly IMO) line up below the disc's centre line, not only does that give more consistent disc speeds across the sanding area it also makes disc changes easier. If either of your sanders has these features maybe it might make sense to nominate that one for adhesive backed and the other for velcro?

Incidentally, I've met a few woodworkers who make jewellery boxes and musical instrument cases professionally, every one has a 500mm or larger disc sander with adhesive backing, an off-set table, and no quadrant guard, that is their primary woodworking machine. But they're looking for flawless mitres and a quick method of flushing off mitre splines or levelling lid/box joints, etc. If you're more about sanding to a line like Naz or cleaning up end grain for joinery work then velcro backed is perfectly accurate enough.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The six inch sander is a Draper Belt and Disc Sander (purchased second-hand). The table is mounted on a rod so the distance from the disc can be adjusted (as can the tilt).

The twelve inch is a “home made” attachment for my lathe. I attached a face plate to inch thick MDF for both of two discs; the table attaches to the carriage replacing the banjo.

At present I have one with 80 grit and a second with 240 grit. If I want to change the grit, it's only a matter of making another disc.

At the moment, both use self adhesive discs.

On the basis of the advice kindly given so far, I'm minded to ditch the idea of changing the 12“ discs to velcro and pursue the smaller ones.

I know there are a lot of abrasive suppliers on the www but it would save a lot of time if anybody could RECOMMEND a supplier that will sell packets of five or ten velcro-backed discs in a particular grit and NOT charge a exorbitant amount for carriage. After all, it seems pointless to re-invent the wheel !

Has anybody used the perforated velcro-backed sanding discs on a disc sander? They are more easily available and I wonder if the holes would have a detrimental effect.

Very many thanks again

MCB

My older 'none standard' 12" Axminster sander (it rotates clockwise) has Velcro as standard.
Finding it difficult to get hold of Velcro backed discs, and those that came to light not exactly in line with my pocket money allowance, I started saving a few worn out Velcro discs and now stick the adhesive discs to those.

Initial thoughts were that the sponginess of the built up layer would be too much but in practice for following a line and with care accurate profiling using jigs it works fine, might be the extra stiffness of the layered disc compensates for the give in the Velcro.

So basically I have both options although starting from the opposite scenario to MCB but my experience to date might belay some of the misgivings about using Velcro.

Latest posts

Back