robert inghams fret saw??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyavast

Established Member
Reaction score
This might be a daft question, but does anyone know what type/brand of fret saw is on the cover of Robert Inghams book 'cutting edge cabinetmaking'.

I looks to be of very sturdy construction, and I'm tired of the poor construction and inadequacies of my own (admittedly cheap) fretsaw.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can purchase a good solid fretsaw it would be very much appreciated.

Andy.

3-112.jpg

I'd call that a piercing (or jeweller's saw).

BugBear

Thankyou Bugbear for the correction! Most appreciated.

The model on the classic hand tools site looks to be of good quality, and is tension adjustable- a function my current piercing saw lacks.

If anyone stumbles upon the model shown on the front page of Robert Inghams book, I would be interested to know the name of the manufacturer.

Andy

Andy,
I think you will find Robert made the saw in the picture he certainly made the marking gauge. Clearly the stronger frame allows more blade tension which is always lacking in any manufactured open frame handsaw in my experience.
Jon.

andyavast":2sqgpnhr said:
Thankyou Bugbear for the correction! Most appreciated.

The model on the classic hand tools site looks to be of good quality, and is tension adjustable- a function my current piercing saw lacks.

All piercing saws are tension adjustable. It's just a matter of how hard you compress the frame when inserting the blade.

But some piercing saws are size adjustable. I hate the idea of an even shorter sawing stroke, though, so my adjustable saw is always at 6" (i.e. full normal blade).

BugBear

jonbikebod":3b7x7xqu said:
Andy,
I think you will find Robert made the saw in the picture he certainly made the marking gauge. Clearly the stronger frame allows more blade tension which is always lacking in any manufactured open frame handsaw in my experience.
Jon.

Can anyone with the book post a better picture than the online bookshop cover shot I found, either from the cover, or a photo from the text?

BugBear

Here you go, BB:

saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

Looks homemade to me - but homemade for Robert Ingham with his skills & metalworking kit means something a bit different to the rest of us doing it!

Have to sneak in a pic of his clamp rack too - impressive!

clamps.jpg

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":1xrags2o said:
Here you go, BB:

Looks homemade to me - but homemade for Robert Ingham with his skills & metalworking kit means something a bit different to the rest of us doing it!

Agree - it appears that the blade is fixed at 45 degrees, which implies it's a dedicated DT waste remover.

AFAIK no factory ever made such a thing.

BugBear

Back