Renewing a tax disc on line

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Just tried to do this for my wife's car and the DVLA website tells me it cannot trace any insurance for the thing.
I am really hacked off now because exactly the same happened last year.
The insurance is not due until September so none of their excuses for not being able to trace the insurance are valid - such as it is about to run out or it has only just been renewed etc.
I suppose I will have to attempt to call the insurance company to find out why they have not updated the database the DVLA use or just give it best and, once again, ignore the latest technology and go to a post office!

I know I am ranting but is this a common event, folks?

Cheers.

SF

I was pulled over last year, because Direct Line had not updated the database. I was faced with having my van impounded and possibly crushed. It was only because the very nice policeman rang Direct Line directly to confirm I was insured that I was allowed on my way.

I rang Direct Line absolutely furious, and was informed that they had updated the database, but would double check, incase there had been an error.

Low and behold, a month later I was pulled over again.

If the DVLA are saying they can't find any insurance for you, it needs to be sorted out with your insurance company ASAP, otherwise you may find yourself being pulled over again and again.

Just the sort of thing I was thinking might happen, Slim.
How can they hope to get ID cards right if they can't even do something this simple?
I will be onto the insurance company first thing tomorrow!
Thanks.

SF

I think it is just an inherent flaw with databases, large or small.

I just watched the advert for TV licensing. They state "We have a database of every address without a TV license" Yet, when I bought a freeview box a couple of years ago, I was sent letter after letter telling me to buy a License. If they had just checked their "database" they might have spotted that I already had one. :roll:

I thought about leaving it until the enforcement officer came knocking on the door and then shoving my license in his face. I wonder how much of our beloved TV license is being spent on chasing wild geese?

Slim":3ohc6bfm said:
I think it is just an inherent flaw with databases, large or small.

I just watched the advert for TV licensing. They state "We have a database of every address without a TV license" Yet, when I bought a freeview box a couple of years ago, I was sent letter after letter telling me to buy a License. If they had just checked their "database" they might have spotted that I already had one. :roll:

I thought about leaving it until the enforcement officer came knocking on the door and then shoving my license in his face. I wonder how much of our beloved TV license is being spent on chasing wild geese?

Agreed. I'm getting hassled as 'The Occupier' for not having a licence in the cottage I'm renovating. Don't even have a TV there but damned if I'm going to waste time responding. Interesting to see the escalation. Apparently my address has been passed to the 'Hereford enforcement team'. Yeah....right.

I've been having trouble with a car dealer recently. It seems that he is incapable of telling the truth when he can lie instead. The car was clocked, has a forged service book etc. Anyway, you can check to see if your car is insured here:

http://www.askmid.com/

You can also get all your previous MOT history or current MOT status here:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ ... equest.jsp

Nationwide got my dodgy car onto the data-base and my trade-in off it the day I bought the car. The askmid site was useful to see that my old car had been sold. The motinfo helped me find a 50000 mile discrepancy between the cars first MOT in February and a new one in March after it had been clocked. The insurance database isn't operated by the government, rather by the insurers and seems to work most of the time. If your car is not on the insurance database make sure you carry your documents in the car - there are some horror stories out there.

Andy

Shadowfax":2k8fds7k said:
Just the sort of thing I was thinking might happen, Slim.
How can they hope to get ID cards right if they can't even do something this simple?
I will be onto the insurance company first thing tomorrow!
Thanks.

SF

You are making the assumption that the identity cards are there for the benefit of the public...

Very useful links, indeed.
I now know that neither of my cars is on the MID database!

Contacted the insurance company. First person I spoke to tells me it is nothing to do with them and I should contact the DVLA.
Right, really easy then. "Surely this is your job". "No, we have nothing to do with MID"
I rang off at this stage, checked the MID database, found out my cars are not on it and rang the nsurance company again.
This time I got a sympathetic ear and they are getting their "technical section" onto it.
I am still waiting to hear the result but she did sound positive!
Thanks for the links and advice.
I will let you know how this turns out.

SF

Glad that I've posted something useful for a change :D

I'm getting a new car tomorrow morning to replace the car I got scammed with the other week. I have an insurance certificate that is valid from midnight tonight and it will be interesting to see when this gets changed over on MID.

I can also recomend Royal Mail Recorded Delivery, you can get an electronic proof of delivery on-line shortly after confirmation of the delivery. Useful when serving notice on people. Also, on-line HPI checks can tell you quite a bit about your car, including main dealer service histoiry, and are worth £20 - wish I'd spent this before I bought the car. (www.hpicheck.com)

I was lucky that I forgot to put enough money in my current account to pay for the dodgy car and had to pay part using a credit card. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act is your friend. I must say that Hampshire Trading Standards have also been incredibly helpful. Why are cars so much trouble?

Andy

As i received no reply from the insurance company I rang them again today. I was once again told to contact DVLA. I'm getting a bit furious by now so I told the unfortunate girl that DVLA have nothing to do with the matter and it is down to the unsurance company to fix the problem - get me a supervisor!
After several bouts of being put on hold for "two seconds" (for this read being subjected to 5 cycles of the muzak loop) I was put through to the Motor Insurance Bureau. This time it was explained to me that it is indeed the sole requirement of the insurance company to get the information onto the database run by the bureau.
In the meantime, apparently, a supervisor did ring me and left a message on the answerphone. He will contact me!
Finally another bloke from the insurance company rang me and said he will look into it after contacting the supervisor.
What a shower they are.
It is obvious what needs to be done yet no-one seems prepared to contact the Motor Insurance Bureau. Only the insurance company can do it but they say this is all new to them - it has not happened before.
What utter bo*****s!!
I will get them to do it but I do wonder how long they need to read up on the correct procedure.
Meanwhile, I guess I will have to re-tax the car at a post office.

I have taken the MIB's advice and sent them an email with the story so far. Perhaps they will be able to get to the bottom of the matter from the other direction.
I feel there is more to come, folks!
Cheers.

SF

My personal best on car insurance was insuring my car over the telephone. The chap at the other end asked for identification! I asked if he would like to look at my driver's licence!

Roy.

Success!!
The guy from the insurance company rang me this morning with the news that both cars are now on the MID again.
I have been able to renew the road tax online so all is now well.
It's just a shame that I have had to tell them their job and waste so much time and money on phone calls.
Why they think I should do it for them is beyond me! Insurance companies - hah!!
Good news, though.

Cheers.

SF

I'm afraid that my experience of officialdom at all levels is that they expect you to prove what you say, not them disprove it.
I had blazing row with the duty sergeant at our nick some years ago, it was obvious that he disbelieved what I said and I challenged him on it.
He said, 'you must understand the type of people we get in here'! I exploded and told him I didn't give a damn if the last dozen were serial killers! That didn't make me liar!.
He thought about it then aplogised and I told him to accept my version or prove me a liar, then stormed out. I heard no more.
The tax authorities are the same.
Ever tried arguing with a traffic warden?
Even dust men are fully paid up Nazis it seems these days.
One refused to take bottles, so I pointed out, and he agreed, that he was required to take broken glass. So I broke each bottle over the edge of the dustbin then walked off with him swearing, carrying the dustbin with him!
What ever happen to public service?
I will now depart taking my soap box with me!

Roy.

Digit":2nyb8gwm said:
One refused to take bottles, so I pointed out, and he agreed, that he was required to take broken glass. So I broke each bottle over the edge of the dustbin then walked off with him swearing, carrying the dustbin with him!

Your a man after my own heart! :D

Latest posts

Back