Removing an old screw from brick, restricted space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickasapike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, removing some little shelves from around the loo has left three big crosshead screws that just won't come out, I've ruined a cheap bit trying, and messed up the heads, tried a good bit but just won't grip; I should have scraped the paint out of them first, damn - the screws are massive, like ones that hold the sink to the wall; probably as deep as the loo roll shelf they supported !

I can get to one with a grinder, and perhaps the other with my new oscilating multitool with a 'wood with nails' blade (would '..with nails be ok for screws, aren't they harder ?) but there is one screw that I can only get a pair of pliers on so I need a non-power tool solution anyway.

They're in old plaster over brick, the holes/chasms will ultimately be hidden behind the cistern boxing/new shelf backing but need to come out as they are in the way - but I don't want to pull half the plaster off in the process.

Given up on them as screws, I've tried yanking, bending and rotating with beefy pliers but they won't budge. I was thinking to hammer away on them to try to break the grip of the threads, or drilling to one side of the existing hole to weaken it but concerned I'll catch the screwhead and it could be pretty messy whatever I do.

Don't want to buy (yet) a(nother) tool... any ideas folks ?

Get a cheap core drill and cut around them, break the plug out and fill the hole if it's that important to remove them, or else drill a circle of near touching holes around them and break them out with a small chisel? That wouldn't cost to try. Or else just be brutal and chisel them out with a chisel in an SDS drill.

Bend it back and forth with a hammer. It should eventually snap. Just watch it doesn't twang you in the eye when it finally let's go.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dibs-h":49x44ex0 said:
Have you tried mole grips?

I usually find them to be a good last resort tool for uncooperative fixings.
I agree if there is room.
It often help if it gets a few taps with the hammer as if to knock it in -to break the seal.

sickasapike":3hep3sl8 said:
... the holes will ultimately be hidden behind the cistern boxing/new shelf backing but need to come out as they are in the way ...

In the way how?

If they are sticking out, grind 'em off flush with the wall.

If they are in the way of new fixings, are they ALL in the way? Can you fix elsewhere?

Thanks all, pipes and cistern prevent most ideal solutions, I'll try a combination of heat gun, hammer and some small angled masonry drill exploration, it doesn't have to be presentable, just not too traumatic to the surrounding area.

I have a mole grip but it's small and from Indonesia so a bit of a comedy tool, I'd bet on the screw winning (or a sturdy spatula for that matter !) - my beefy pliers work better, maybe time to get a new one !

If it won't come out send it in.
Tw*****g it with a big hammer or a hammer and drift will sort it out.

Sometimes you can get the screw started by driving it in further. This seems to break the seal between screw and surroundings, without risking damaging the undoing side of the screw head. Might be too late for you now. I know you don't want to buy more tools but a good quality mole type wrench will very likely come in handy for other jobs. You might have to buy one eventually so why not get one now?
K

graduate_owner":kc5345tk said:
I know you don't want to buy more tools but a good quality mole type wrench will very likely come in handy for other jobs.
K

So on the money, so to speak. I didn't have one for years - then went and bought a quality one for around £20, and I now know all the times in the past, it would have saved me tons of hassle.

I would not be without my mole wrenches. They have got me and others out of lots of problems in the past. Make sure you get a good pair, I am sure someone on here will tell you what is currently a good brand. Hammering in as has been suggested is good as long as they do not come out the other side :-(

Rules is always the same, would the tool be useful after this instance, if the answer is even just "probably" then it gets bought.

I have many tools. lol, but am rarely without the thing I need to do one of the many jobs I do.

One of my really useful tools is a mini mole which I had free, when I bought 2 gallons of Duckhams oil, in 1974. Still working well, and that is what you expect from a decent brand.
K

I'd drill a hole down the centre of the screw and use an extractor as I have a set but even if not the hole would allow you to knock the screw furthe into the brick as the metal will collapse into itself.

Been spending too much on tools lately, have put together a whole workshop in the last 3 konths but yeah, maybe worth getting a proper mole grip as a few of you say.

The kitchen is the next job after the bathroom, and I think it was done by the same guy/people... so if a shelf to support a loo roll has those bloody great screws holding it up, god knows what epic fixings lurk behind the kitchen cupboards... I'll probably be back asking about demolitions equipment for that !

graduate_owner":9fdm4f9s said:
One of my really useful tools is a mini mole which I had free, when I bought 2 gallons of Duckhams oil, in 1974. Still working well, and that is what you expect from a decent brand.
That's a long time, even for Duckhams. :)

Seriously... I usually cook up the accessible bit of the screw to cherry red with propane (haven't got oxy acetylene), then let it cool again and try Mole grips. The best ones I've got are Vice Grip brand (might be US: "Vise Grip"), but even the nasty Chinese copies would work.

Latest posts

Back