Record Full face powered respirator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Help needed please.

I have a record full face respirator which I bought some years ago. They don't make it anymore. On retrieving my tools from my ex-wife after a messy divorce (they were held ransom!) the charging transformer is missing.

Does anyone have one of these and can tell me the voltage/amperage etc for the transformer - and if possible, which pins are which on the din plug?

I have a charger at home I will let you know the details. There are limited spares available still pre and main filters the replacement visor and charger are no longer available.

Hi Nick

Am I right in thinking that the Record is the same as the PulSafe Turbovisor? Looks like a cross between a fireman's helmet and something from the French foreigh legion? 5-pin Din plugs into the battery pack?

If so, I'm afraid my charger doesn't give the output (it just says suitable for charging 3.6V 1.7 A/Hr), but last time I wanted spares, Peter was very helpul here:
01444 484044

Can't remember the company, that's all I have in my database.

I realize that even if it looks the same, the electrics may be different, but it's worth a call?

HTH
Steve

For what it's worth, the Record Turbovisor is also marketed as the Wilson Turbovisor, although I believe it is made by a company called Hagemeyer. I got spare filters for mine from:-
Wycombe Industrial Safety Tel: 01494 449920 23 Chairborough Rd, High Wycombe Buckinghamshire HP12 3HH

If it's any help, I can measure the output voltage on my charger, but according to some other information I have, Severn Safety Phone 01242 525811 Fax 01242 224184 <may> still stock the battery charger.

One other company whose name was in the same file was:-

Safety Equipment Supplies Ltd
Unit 4 Millingford Industrial Estate
Bridge street
Golborne
WA3 3QE
Telephone: 0870 160 81 30
Fax: 0870 160 81 31
E-Mail: [email protected]

Thanks Guys. The reason I asked for charger spec was that I have a multitude of small voltage chargers from various bits and pieces over the years and thought I might have one of suitable power - just need to wire a din plug onto it or make up an adaptor. I did ask Record about a replacement when they had them and it was going to be something stupid like £40 - £50 so I put in back in the 'not today' box.
I would be grateful for any measurements.

Details off the Record Turbo visor

Its made by wilson

Model DTVS-6504

input 200-250VAC
5-/60 Hz
Output: 4.35VDC
170mA

number on back c-c 96234 MR1

Hope this helps

Russell":rapn0opc said:

Input 200-250VAC
5-/60 Hz
170mA

That's interesting. I just checked mine, and the charger only gives 3.6V! It also says 1.7A/Hr (which I guess is the power output, as opposed to current) and "max 14 hr".
So I guess you pays your money, and takes your choice?

Many thanks for this - I'll look out what trannies I have and just try one - nothing lost if it doesn't work. If that is the case, I'll just butcher the battery pack and replace with a known quantity.

dickm":39srctbo said:
Russell":39srctbo said:

Input 200-250VAC
5-/60 Hz
170mA

That's interesting. I just checked mine, and the charger only gives 3.6V! It also says 1.7A/Hr (which I guess is the power output, as opposed to current) and "max 14 hr".
So I guess you pays your money, and takes your choice?

If the battery is 3.6V the charger should put out a bit more than that eg. a 12V batter charger will output around 14V.

NickWelford":3iqwgqa5 said:
Many thanks for this - I'll look out what trannies I have and just try one - nothing lost if it doesn't work. If that is the case, I'll just butcher the battery pack and replace with a known quantity.

When I got mine (secondhand) the batteries were dead. Replacing them was very easy using tagged cells from one of the battery suppliers on the web. The only difficult bit was getting the lid off the battery box, because it's glued on and you need to be a bit careful not to break anything.
I wonder why the two different voltages on my charger and the other? There are three cells, so that should need more than 3.6v, like GeorgeN says. But mine charges up completely, and the new batteries are possibly higher capacity than the originals.

I wonder why the two different voltages on my charger and the other? There are three cells, so that should need more than 3.6v, like GeorgeN says. But mine charges up completely, and the new batteries are possibly higher capacity than the originals.

The voltages stated on these little plug top chargers is fairly irrelevant TO SOME EXTENT! If the voltage is measured off load It can read very high compared to on load. The design of some is so crude that they often only have half wave rectification which means the voltage reading is incorrect anyway. What they do tend to do is have enough voltage but their own internal resistance of the secondary winding is so high even if there was a full short on it they self limit the current . To answer your final point about the capacity of the cell again it is not relevant to the charger because it's function is to provide constant current and it will keep doing so whatever size capacity it's charging as long as the number of cells is the same. Nicads like constant current, Lead acid batteries like constant voltage chargers. As long as the charge current is 1 tenth or less of the rated current capacity of the cell it's reasonably safe to leave on continuous charge for long periods without damage. Due to inefficiencies in the charge of the cell 12-14 hours at one tenth capcity is usual to effect a charge. To recap measuring the charge current which will only vary by about 10 percent between a fully charged cell and a drained one is the best way to determine what's going on with a charger.

Alan

Even though the respirator is about 20 years old, I managed to get replacement Main and pre filters from Argo tel 01923 202090
Code DTVS-3170 pre filter
DTVR-TH2 Turbovisor Main Filter.

Sundial Colin":e8e5aylq said:
Even though the respirator is about 20 years old, I managed to get replacement Main and pre filters from Argo tel 01923 202090
Code DTVS-3170 pre filter
DTVR-TH2 Turbovisor Main Filter.
Thanks for that, mate. Very useful, though I still have one new spare.

Back