Record #7 Brand new condition Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'm doing anyone out of a bargain by posting this because it's 'buy it now' and not auction.

I will add also that it's nothing to do with me.

Record #7 in sparkling new condition, never taken out of the box. You can see from the sole that it's never been slid along anything. How on earth has it stayed like that all these years? Possibly 50 years old. £125.

Personally I'd rather spend £110 or so more on brand new Quangsheng or Wood River.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Recor ... EL:GB:1123

All their stuff seems to me very much on the expensive side.

However, they sell enough so I guess I'm wrong.

I'll have to put my prices up. :)

Not 1960s/1970s!

An unused mint one from the 60s would be remarkable. The lateral lever dates it to 1988 and newer, according to a dating website.
Later Record planes would be branded "Record Marples" then Record became Record Irwin.

JohnPW":38ryxngs said:
Not 1960s/1970s!

An unused mint one from the 60s would be remarkable. The lateral lever dates it to 1988 and newer, according to a dating website.
Later Record planes would be branded "Record Marples" then Record became Record Irwin.

Totally agree John, that is NOT 60's or 70's and the planes they made in the late 80's and 90's were nearly useless.

Dangermouse.":30r9yemx said:
JohnPW":30r9yemx said:
Totally agree John, that is NOT 60's or 70's and the planes they made in the late 80's and 90's were nearly useless.

I must say that my Record 5 1/2 with that style of lateral adjuster, which I bought in the late 80s (68 quid from Turtles of Croydon) is actually a very good, very usable item A total user out of the box. The only issue I have with it is the length of the screw holding the handle on which is a tad too long. It was a heck of a lot better than my Stanley 60 1/2 bought new 5 years ago which had to be severely fettled. It was monumentally better than my 605 Stanley Bedrock which I practically gave away.

Well Ross, if you got a 1980's Record to plane right out of the box, your either god or had the only one in the world that would do that. lol . I have one that took me many hours to get to work as it should. it now is a good plane, but really no where as good as pre 1970's

Dangermouse.":1ck0jmvh said:
Well Ross, if you got a 1980's Record to plane right out of the box, your either god or had the only one in the world that would do that. lol . I have one that took me many hours to get to work as it should. it now is a good plane, but really no where as good as pre 1970's

I don't dispute that the older ones are better, maybe I got a good'un (possibly an old boy at the factory with some spare time :D ), but is by far and away my best and favourite plane....apart from the slightly shonky handle. Really need to take it off and file a bit off the screw, but I've been meaning to do that for nearly 30 years now :roll:

I'm just speculating here but I don't think there would have been the commercial pressure to build a No 7 down to a price. I can see that with a common plane such as a No 4 where many get sold in ordinary shops to diy users but a No 7 would always have been something for the tradesman or more thorough amateur.

So maybe Ross's plane is a little bit of evidence that the often repeated complaint about the decline in quality doesn't apply across the whole range.

Dangermouse.":g45jvgsx said:
if you got a 1980's Record to plane right out of the box, your either god or had the only one in the world that would do that
I bought a Record No7 back in the late 80s and it was, and still is, absolutely fine.

I agree it a 1980s example, not '60s or '70s. I rather doubt Record would have stated metric equivalent measurements on the label in the 1960s. It'll make a very decent plane, though whether it's £125 plus postage decent is another matter.

My Record 07 is a 1980s example - late 1980s at that. It's a very good plane, and has been ever since I bought it - nicely finished sole, straight, no problems. The Record 04 I bought at about the same time (or a year or two earlier) was an altogether different animal; sole like a banana, finished on a coarse linisher, handles with corners everywhere. Horrible thing.

Really and truly...if you had a choice between a fine old vintage SS one with poor Japanning and worn woodwork...or a blingy 1980s one in pristine condition in a box...which would you choose?

I know what I would choose.

Jimi

Kalimna":1kwgfja1 said:
Ahh, but Jim you have a curious knack of finding such an item, not so for everyone else :)

Cheers,
Adam

Well...since there were TWO good ones going begging (one SS) at Richard Arnold's charity do the other month...I think it's more a case of looking than hoping! :wink:

BTW...they were BOTH still there when I left at the end.......

Jimi

Back