Really 'Off Topic' question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
On the off-chance that we have contributors in Norwich who happen to know Magdelen Street I would appreciate advice as to the current ownership of N° 40 - which I see from Google Street View in April 2022 seemed to be a music outlet called Kraken Discz - but even then it looks either run down or even dis-used.

Try the Land Registry, not done this for 20 years but if it's changed hands in the last thirty years or so they will be able to identify the owner.

Thanks for the response - - - never heard of Reddit and the idea of aproaching the Land Regisitry doesn't appeal. Going knocking might be an option if I lived somewhat closer than 120 miles !

I think that I've re-assured myself that the reason for my question is no longer imperative. I received an e-mail perporting to be from eBay detailing an order which I hadn't placed and the delivery address is 40 Magdalen St. - (with which I have no connection) I wouldn't normally take much notice of such potential scams but last month there was an attempt (failed) to set up a new contract with my internet hosting and the location of that hacker was reported as 'Norwich area'.

I have confirmed that no funds have been apropriated :rolleyes:

That's the same place my new TV that I didn't buy from ebay, was going to be delivered to, a couple of weeks ago, I think it's a pub down there.

I live reasonably close to Norwich,but haven't visited Magdalen street for quite a while.Its either inconvenient or expensive to get there,so I don't often bother.The street isn't exactly thriving and there is a fair chance that somebody selected on of the numerous empty shops to associate their scam with.

Thanks @worn thumbs - that is exactly the 'local' information that I'd been hoping for - and somewhat confirms my original suspicions.

@HOJ - It seems as though there IS a serious scammer operating and using that address so I'm now wondering what my next move should be ?? - I'm unsure whether the fraud squad would actually take an interest or indeed how I might make contact.

This was my message, I forwarded it on to the government's report phishing site, I knew it was dodgy because they had used my business email account, not the one I use for these type of transactions.

ebay.png

I don't go to Norwich often now, and least of all to Magdalen street, I would feel safer in Beirut, its like the Sahara desert, everyone knows where it is, but no one wants to go there.. used to be a prosperous area but has been in decline for years.

Thanks for the response - - - never heard of Reddit and the idea of aproaching the Land Regisitry doesn't appeal. Going knocking might be an option if I lived somewhat closer than 120 miles !

I think that I've re-assured myself that the reason for my question is no longer imperative. I received an e-mail perporting to be from eBay detailing an order which I hadn't placed and the delivery address is 40 Magdalen St. - (with which I have no connection) I wouldn't normally take much notice of such potential scams but last month there was an attempt (failed) to set up a new contract with my internet hosting and the location of that hacker was reported as 'Norwich area'.

I have confirmed that no funds have been apropriated :rolleyes:
Yebbut, still change your eBay and payPal passwords ASAP.

Thanks @worn thumbs - that is exactly the 'local' information that I'd been hoping for - and somewhat confirms my original suspicions.

@HOJ - It seems as though there IS a serious scammer operating and using that address so I'm now wondering what my next move should be ?? - I'm unsure whether the fraud squad would actually take an interest or indeed how I might make contact.
Will the fraud squad take any interest ? Under-resourced and under-funded. What's that flying thing in the sky going 'oink' ?

But what is the scam ? I'm not sure.
The message is not from eBay. (They would not send email from an iCloud account).
My guess is the scammers hope you will follow the links in the message to cancel the order. Those links probably lead to a fake eBay site where you will be asked to sign in with your username and password and maybe even enter credit card details for any refund 😉. Once they have those they can cause havoc at your expense.

On the off-chance that we have contributors in Norwich who happen to know Magdelen Street I would appreciate advice as to the current ownership of N° 40 - which I see from Google Street View in April 2022 seemed to be a music outlet called Kraken Discz - but even then it looks either run down or even dis-used.
Here in Scotland we have something known as the Scottish Assesors which deals with rateable values
https://www.saa.gov.uk/where the owner and tenant of any (or at least many) commercial property can be found

May be there is something similar south of the border
let e know if you find such a resource.

@J-G it would be worth a few minutes reporting this online to Action Fraud.

If there are previous incidents or other events linked to the address or persons believed to be associated with it, you’ll help build more informed intelligence that the police may be able to act upon and it could help someone else from being scammed.

You may not have answers to some of the questions but you can skip these.

Back