Quick to Make Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Ive decided its time to upgrade my bench, being in the trade time has always been of most importance so a door blank fixed to some modified dexion racking has done me Ok. I now would like a bench with some proper work holding provisions. After some quick googling I've come across a plethora of different options, Roubo, split top Roubo, Nicholson, English, Paul Sellers bench, continental the options are endless.
So I am asking the wealth of knowledge on the forum to help me come up with something, I do have a few things to help narrow it down:

I have a single day (this Sunday) to complete it , so screws & bolts will be used where possible to speed it up. Anything which needs gluing & Clamping I will do as early in the day as possible to give me the best chance of finishing.
I have a load of softwood in stock I will be using, as its getting in the way and every time I look at it I see a bench!
I would like it around 2.2m x 0.8m and will be 960mm high
Ive found this storage cupboard on Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-pro-3-cupboard-508226
I would like to allow enough room underneath the bench put all of my best hand tools in a cupboard like this, which will be made at a separate time.
My work mainly requires me to use power tools but I would like to start using more hand tools, so I would like to have features helpful for this.
I would like a pair of vices, I have 2 or 3 QR vices but would need to pick the best ones. Is a QR vice suitable for a tail vice?
I have a combination machine & Morticer so doing big joints wont be a problem. Also have a festol Domino & kreg jigs,
If I need to buy any hardware I will do so ASAP!

Once I get everything sorted out I will come up with a sketch up plan & hopefully a build thread

Any hints, tips, photos, would stall be greatly received.

Thanks

Matt

I need to build a proper bench too, instead of the one I knocked up over 40 years ago. It was a bit ropey then, and has only deteriorated with time. I shall be following this post with interest.
Looking at the two Axminster links is interesting. I wouldn't buy either at those prices but the bench at £351 complete with 2 vices looks like far better value than the cupboard at £216, and reduced from £380 too.

K

Wow you've certainly set yourself a good target so that you can't fall down the usual rabbit hole of bench design! =D>

MattMoore":2t0ptg4r said:
I would like it around 2.2m x 0.8m and will be 960mm high
That's quite tall Matt. Since you mention wanting to do more with hand tools, what height are you? 960 or even higher is fine for power-tool work but it would hamper a lot of hand-tool operations unless you're particularly tall.

One thing I've come to a firm agreement on from recent comparisons I've done myself and from reading Lon Schleining's and Sam Allen's books back to back is that you shouldn't make major compromises on workbench height. If the same bench needs to see double duty as a work surface for power tools you can either use a BoB (bench on bench) or arrange a lifting mechanism or shoes for the legs that allows the whole bench to lift up. Or alternatively raise yourself up, make a platform to stand on for when you're using the hand tools.

MattMoore":2t0ptg4r said:
Is a QR vice suitable for a tail vice?
A QR vice is fine for a tail vice, although it might be considered a waste of the mechanism there's no reason not to use one if you have it already.

I wouldn't bother replicating the Sjobergs or other euro style lightweight benches of that type, the base isn't strong enough for heavy work and the top is a slab of engineered hardwood, replicating that in a day is an impossible task.

If you were going to copy an axminster bench I'd copy the old schoolhouse type 2 sided bench. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-1- ... nch-508227. I've priced up one of these at £210 thats £60 on Red Pine for the base £70 on sheets of ply and MDF for the top and sides and £70 for 40mm x 620mm beech worktop to rip in two and use as the top surface and a tenner for glue and whatever else. The only lamination you'd need is making posts for the legs out of 2x4 if you don't have 4x4 handy. All you need to do is choose your stretcher and rail placement so theres room for your cabinet. It'll be A LOT easier and more manageable in a day, you could use heavy duty drawbored and wedged mortices or half laps and coach bolts and either way you'd have a properly sturdy bench. The tool well is optional you could sack off using blockboard for the 2 sides and just stack and glue sheets of 25mm MDF flat for a worksurface I like a tool well because it stops all my stuff rolling off the bench.

As for height, I am 5,10 my current benchtop is 950mm tall and I really like it that way, as long as you place your bottom rails quite high up you can always trim those legs later if it's not comfortable for you.

I've just started a bench build thread on the projects forum. It's designed for DIYers to be built with as few tools as possible so may not be right for you as you have plenty of kit and experience, but there may be some ideas there for doing it quickly. I can certainly vouch for it's stability. Unfortunately I have only posted about the undercarriage so far but hope to post more in the next few days.

Chris

While browsing some bench building youtube videos I came across this one:-

Build a solid (and cheap) workbench by Mario Cappellano

Within the first 3 minutes he is using a circular saw bench with (a) no top guard (b) no riving knife / splitter and (c) no dust extraction, although he doss at least use a push stick at the end of the cut, and wears hearing protection.

Next video, the Samurai workbench, and another guy doing exactly the same only with no push sticks this time.

I just hope beginners to woodworking machinery don't follow these examples.

K

Back