Purple Heart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all . I just got some purple heart that is really bright and in your face
much brighter than any other that i have seen really purple , i want to make some jewelry boxes from it and hopefully retain the colour . I was thinking of a clear finish with uv protection if possible but what . I know it will get darker but by how much

In the end John you'll not stop purpleheart changing to a chocolate brown. You can delay it, but not stop it. The main causes of the colour change are:

1. Oxidation
2. UV damage.

Oxidation is simply air getting at the wood causing chemical change. UV light is sunlight getting at the wood.

The best way to protect the wood is a finish that seals as effectively as possible and has UV blockers as you mention. No finish is completely impervious to water ingress at a molecular (gaseous) level, but they all are effective to a greater or lesser degree. Broken down finishes fail to do the job, so any damage needs repair.

Water based varnishes are often formulated with good UV blockers, better than oil based in many cases. Water based varnishes dry clear but often have a cold, blue'ish sort of cast to them, and some have a sort of milkiness.

To defeat the cold look you can use a base coat of a dewaxed 'white' or 'super-blonde' shellac. This adds warmth to the wood. Importantly, it must be dewaxed otherwise a water based varnish won't stick to normal shellac. After a coat of shellac, go ahead and apply your varnish of choice-- just make sure it's one with good UV blockers.

I can't recommend a brand. I try to avoid using water based stuff because I haven't yet found a type that performs satisfactorily for me. I'm describing the final appearance that I find a wee bit ugly still, but others seem to like water based finishes well enough. Slainte.

Thanks, i am aware of the problem of the finish looking milky from another project and really would like to avoid acrylic if possible

John

I nearly bought some last weekend on a trip to Good Timber but to me it looked fake - like it had been stained. Do you find this with the wood you have? This was the first time I have seen purpleheart in the flesh (so to speak)

Good timber was where i got it . It is a lot brighter than any other i have seen , the last time i had a bit it was a turning blank and was very dark nothing like this. The bit i got was from the back of shop in the off-cuts bit don't know why though of the top of my head it is 7" x 4" x 31/2' approx for £22 not sure why though. we will see if it is a stain when i cut it up,
but not for some time to busy. what about Rustins plastic coating does that have uv protection????

I find Purpleheart can go really bright purple when first cut-and other boards take a while to "develop". A funny old timber, and really interlocked grain. Also some planks seem to have a high grit content :roll:
But what a colour! :shock: It seems to last a long time-just keep it away from serious sunlight (i.e. don't put it in a conservatory)
I have finished it with lacquer, shellac and Patina-all worked fine.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

In my experience Purpleheart is a funny old timber.

Not only do you get huge variations in colour, but I have also experienced wide variations in user-friendliness!

I have had some that was a joy to turn, and I have also had some bits that were a nightmare - absolutely rock hard and full of silica, so I spent more time grinding than turning.

I suspect that there are either different species of Purpleheart, or that other species are being passed off as Purpleheart simply because they are purple!

Regards

Gary

Back