Proedge:Easy way to knock off corners on plane iron regrind

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
This may be common knowledge to many. But I worked this out today doing a regrind on 3 irons for my Quangshen 62 in preparation for tackling some Elm burl. Thought someone might find it useful.
I have a used proedge that I bought on here. I love it. I wish it was the first tool I bought.
Anyway, the Qs 62 has three irons ground at increasing angles. I don't want to introduce a large camber to any because I only use this plane for tricky grain. I bought it on here when I started out and would probably find another way to manage these timbers now with but since I have it I will keep it. :wink: So I started on the machine, plug and play angles, and I changed a couple from the Qs originals to fit the machines dedicated cutting angles.
Then I went to knock the corners off... But I forgot to change the angle of the rest on the proedge after going through the grades on different irons. So on a 25 degree iron with a 30 degree bevel I managed to whack it on a 60 degree bed. Eek.... Althoughhh...
From the outside edge in freehand bevel up, seconds then the opposite. Finally turn the iron over so it's bed down so to speak and just knock a gnats c**k off the last bit left a tiny corner that with the iron inverted can't be reached.
It works like a charm. A happy accident.
No camber obviously but for rinse and repeat results on this type of machine with no track lines it might interest someone.
Anyway.

8WAAFbP.jpg

bzUm5WU.jpg

ijjA2qg.jpg

This grind is at 50 degrees for info with the bevel at 60 but that distictive S shape is shown well if a bit more extended than on a more usual grind angle.

H60X78m.jpg

All three irons. Numbers are primary and secondary bevels to aid my memory. :oops:

Anyway. I know this post is a bit limited in interest if you don't have this type of machine but maybe it will help someone.

Cheers now. Regards as always.
Chris

Latest posts

Back