Problems in the bedroom (easy now...!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
After many months of temporary accommodation, we're finally in our new house in northern France. Only problem is our bed didn't quite make it up the stairs...

Its a wood-framed US queen size (= UK king I think), and takes a 5ft mattress. The knock-down frame went up ok, as did the mattress (with considerable persuasion), but the rigid metal-framed base stayed downstairs. We'd hoped to buy 2 singles, but the French are steadfastly metric, so bases come in 70, 80, 90, 120, 140 and 160cm. The best from that would be a 70/80 combo, which would leave a small gap either in the middle or at the edges, and I've no idea how crucial it is to provide total support.

Currently, we've sqeezed the mattress on the floor inside the frame, which looks odd, feels even odder, and won't do much for the mattress in the long term. I need to build something into the frame. The simplest solution is probably to fit loose slats (available in laminated beech from Woodfit, but a bit expensive at £11 each, plus delivery to France). Alternatively, a ply or MDF base, suitably drilled for ventilation, and in 2 parts to get it up the stairs!

Is 18mm ply/MDF strong enough for this, considering the ventilation holes will weaken it a bit?

Thanks
Drew

Not sure why you want ventilation holes. The usual bed support in France (sommier) has plain slats. From what I remember they are pretty thin - certainly less than 19mm - but supported in the centre on a large bed.

Actually, I think ours might be fibreglass...

My feeling is that ply or MDF won't have the strength to work very well without a central support, otherwise you will need tree wood or some other material. The BUT ones mentioned below are beech.

Could you put a central longitudinal support in, and place the slats either side so that they are shorter?

BUT do sell 'split' sommiers (at a high price) see here, but I doubt that is a help.

Dick where can I get me some "tree wood" sounds intriguing :lol:

Tom

As opposed to mechanically retrieved wood...

It's a phrase from one of the DIY shows (DIY SOS I think) who disdained MDF and used 'tree wood' instead. Good phrase, I thought.

O.K ....just don't let the phrase slip out in a timber yard. :shock:
I can just imagine the scornful look as you get told by a dead ringer for Trigger : Its all from trees Guv thas wot wood is. (homer)
How would it sound translated into French tho?

Tom

Du bois des arbres silvous plait.. mais Monsieur tous les arbes sont fabrique en bois :lol: Probably should have paid attention all those years ago n'est pas?

Maybe Christoph Clark will advise

Do Ikea sell anything suitable? I know many of thier beds use the slat system.

Tom

We have a 1500mm dunlopillo (latex) mattress, and Dunlop specify 18mm chipboard under, with holes (3/4" @ 9" centres I think). Holes are necessary to ventilate the mattress (as the actress said to the bishop). I think a centre support might be necessary....

In France the sommier part often comes with extra legs which fit into the central support.

Are the ventilation holes put in when using a sheet of MDF? I really don't see the point when using slats.

Sorry didn't make it plain; the dunlopillo matress is a 'firmrest' and is made to sit on top of a rigid unsprung base - a sheet of chipboard 1500x2000 or whatever with holes in. No slats nowhere, Guv.

If you had slats, the gaps between would provide the necessary ventilation.

dlowry_uk":1gmp7h2j said:
but the rigid metal-framed base stayed downstairs.

Can it not be cut and rewelded in situ? Or altered so it can be split and bolted together?

Tom

Not really feasible - they are made of square tube pressed to shape with the slats riveted on.

I really think that slats on a central support would work. Either that or take a window out and bring it in through that!

Tommo":123zh5hl said:
Maybe Christoph Clark will advise
I'm not a bed expert at all. All our beds have slats with a metal outside supporting frame. French double beds are split in 2 the opposite to the uk ie. longways.
The bed shop Le roi du matelas have a "Cadre extensible" which is a sommier thats is adjustable for the odd sized beds..
dlowry_uk":123zh5hl said:
we're finally in our new house in northern France

Where abouts are you. You could be my next door neighbour... :)

Tommo the sawdust maker":s35jonwg said:
Do Ikea sell anything suitable? I know many of thier beds use the slat system.

Tom

I thought Ikea was a five-letter word on the Forum...
:D

I think maybe Tommo has a good idea. Could you cut the frame in half, and weld 'paste-board' hinges to it? You might not have the problem again.

John

I've done several singles using slats made from 75mm wide strips of 18mm MR MDF so if you can add a central support then that method should be OK. These bunk beds survived two 5-6yr olds jumping on them as soon as I had assembled them :wink:

I have also done a king size which used two sheets of 18mm MR MDF, I drilled about 15No 50mm holes in each sheet to allow some air movement. Again this had support from below.

The other alternative it to do what one of my clients did - cut the metal frame in half then bolt together using a couple of thengths of angle iron.

Jason

Where abouts are you. You could be my next door neighbour... Smile

We're in La Gorgue, just south of Armentieres, so not exactly neighbours :)

Cutting the existing sommier isn't really an option. Its not a simple flat frame, but a full metal-framed box-spring affair, about 12in deep.

The adjustable sommier sounds good - I'd had a quick look on Roi de Matelats website, but didn't see it - i'll have another look. The other problem I didn't mention of course is height - the original sommier raises the mattress, and a flat frame on the same supports would leave the mattress below the level of the headboard. new supports higher in the frame should solve it.

Thanks for the advice on a panel base - if I go that way, I'll be sure to provide extra support underneath.

Drew

Back