Plunge router bits??? buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainSawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

First time poster so please be nice. Wondering if people could shed some light/ steer me in the right direction. I want to use my router to cut mortices but my regular straight cutting bits really struggle with the plunging element of the job. I've looked on a variety of websites for 'plunge bits' but come up short- only being given the same old straight cutters.

Am I using my straight cutters incorrectly or are there specific bits out there?

Any help would be really useful and thanks.

Consider spiral upcut bits if you can get them for a decent price. I use 1/4" carbide bits on the CNC machine, but I've found them excellent for plunge jobs with the router for handheld work.

Spiral upcuts are the dogs danglies IMO. For straight cuts I rarely use anything else and for plunging they are streets ahead of any other cutter I have used to date.

Faster, cleaner, better clearance what's not to like? Oh the price :) But they stay sharp for an age.

For big upcut bits I found these guys good value and the quality seems the same as other suppliers. https://routercutter.co.uk/up-cut-2-flute-spirals

Try to clamp a block either side of your mortice or else use a two fence setup so that you're not struggling to hold the router square to the workpiece on a narrow edge. At least then half your strength and attention isn't wasted trying to hold the router in the right place.

Wow, great advice- thanks very much and thanks for the links. Looks like I need to hide a few more bits on the bank statement from the fiancée.

Back