Pensions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

Established Member
Reaction score
During a lifetime of self employed work, I accumulated a pension fund
of about £140,000. This purchased me an annual pension of £7440 net. For this I worked the usual self employed 6 & 7 day week. I note that UK EU Commissioner Catherine Ashton, who replaced Lord Mandelson and who has been in the job for less than a year, will qualify for an ample pension of £9,600 a year, in addition to three years of 'transition' payments, valued at over £89,000 a year. On top of this, she will receive a £18,700 'resettlement' allowance.
This is in addition to the salaries and perks that Commissioners are entitled to during their term of service. Commissioners receive basic salaries of at least £220,000 a year (more for Vice-Presidents and the President) - meaning that in one five-year term alone, a Commissioner earns in excess of £1 million.
I wont go into the question of remuneration, I don't presume that I would be up to her job, but I must admit that when I see these figures and compare them to my non-indexed linked pittance (she gets about the same as I do after 1 year compared to a working lifetime) and of course, indexed linked, I get a trifle upset.
I hope this post doesn't contravene forum rules but I just had to let off steam.
Cheers,
Jim
:(

Do you think they appreciate all that money?

They gear their lifestyle to their income and probably feel no better off at the end of the day than you do, they just have more goods and commitments that own them.

You and I would like their income, if only for one year, because it would make our lifestyle easily supported. If our income reduced or stopped we wouldn't have far to fall. If their's fell they would have a nasty shock.
Remember the Hamiltons? What goes around comes around?

Sometimes it is better not to notice. Some got it, others got it to get.
I would rather be lucky in love and health and trust that

My experience of the matter Gower is that beyond a certain level of remuneration the actual money is not that important to some, it is simply a measure of how they value themselves in comparison to what Joe Blogs receives.
Salesmen are a classical example with success measured by the type of company car they are allocated.
Fern Britton is said to have walked off cos her partner in crime is paid more than she is, same thing!

Roy.

It is kinda like Hollywood Actors,they work for a year on a picture and then expect an award party,plus getting paid large sums of money.I worked 37 years keeping the lights on,and I got a cake?Well I guess I had a chance of becoming a star,just didn`t go far enough west to be discovered.

Back